Scan Box from WMS

pa_toupa_tou Member Posts: 155
Hi all!
I need to be able to manage my items using BOX.
Exemple: Item ABC sold in 6 Pairs or 2 Pairs ; Buy in Dozen and Receive in BOx. Each Box contains 15 units of 6 Pairs so my questions are:
- How can I configure my Units of measure ( Inventory , Selling and PurchasinG)?
- How can I make sure I scan only BOX when I receive goods or when I ship goods as I do not open Boxes ( rarely)?

Thanks for suggestions.

Answers

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    For me it seems that best will be to have base unit a PCS. Than you can use BOX (180PCS), UNIT(12PCS) and PAIR (2PCS) UOM. Than you can define Cross References to have different IDs for each unit...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • pa_toupa_tou Member Posts: 155
    Thanks Kne. But I do not want to manage several other ID`s . I wanto keep one item exe: ABCD but be able to manage the other UOM when doing purchase, sales order entry, shipping and receiving.

This is an exemple:
    Item No: ABCD
    Item Base unit of measure : PCS ( However PCS means 16*2PRS).
    Item Selling UOM : PCS
    Item Purchasing UOM: DOZEN.
    Unit Price`5 $ per PCS.
    So customer decide to order 100 PCS which means 100*16*2PRS which corresponds to 100* 5 = 500 $.

- I want to be able to manage all combination when entering customer unit of measure and customer qty ( so I will create 2 fields).
    - I want to be able to scan Boxes when I receive goods and validate my inventory in PCS even if I purchase in DOZEN.
    - I wan to be able to scan boxes when I ship . In fact all my inventory are in PCS but I only manage boxes inside the warehouse.

Hope it`s little more clear.
    Yes, I know. What I (and you) described is part of the standard NAV functionality. For one Item you can define more measure units. Base measure unit on the Item Card will be PCS. When you make lookup on this field, you can define other measure units with appropriate ratio to base unit. On Item card you can define purchase and sales UoM. On documents you can use any unit you defined for the item. Through Cross reference you can add something like "barcode XXXXX means Item A with unit of measure BBB, barcode XXXXXY means Item A with unit of measure CCC etc....".
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • pa_toupa_tou Member Posts: 155
    Thanks Kine, I think I am in the rif<ght way with your solution . My questions now are:
    - How are you defining or creating barcodes based on UOM .
    - Is this still work if my selling price is not related to base UOM and what about dealing with Boxes in warehouse as emplyees usually scan boxes but may scan also dozen and from accounting poit of view amounts are usually based on Dozen.

However there is
    kine wrote:
    Yes, I know. What I (and you) described is part of the standard NAV functionality. For one Item you can define more measure units. Base measure unit on the Item Card will be PCS. When you make lookup on this field, you can define other measure units with appropriate ratio to base unit. On Item card you can define purchase and sales UoM. On documents you can use any unit you defined for the item. Through Cross reference you can add something like "barcode XXXXX means Item A with unit of measure BBB, barcode XXXXXY means Item A with unit of measure CCC etc....".
    It his impossible to go into details on this forum. Warehouse management is too complex thing and is specific for each company.

For defining bar codes, you can use "Cross-reference" (see the Item Card-Item-Cross References). Than you can make visible the Cross reference field on e.g. sales order and if you enter the code there, it will take correct item and measure unit into the sales line.

For simplifying the thing: do not forget that all transactions are saved into item ledger entries in the base UoM. All other UoMs are just used to enter the quantity in some way, but internally it will be just recalculated to the base unit...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.