NAS launch a windows service which locate on other machine?

gisongison Member Posts: 128
The reason of this problem is we the there may have permission control on the server which has service.
We try launch the service from different computer which has Navision Application Server installed, but always fail.
It's possible have this kind of 3-tiers architecture base on Navision's tools? :?

Navision Application Server -> Windows Service Server -> Navision Server

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    gison wrote:
    The reason of this problem is we the there may have permission control on the server which has service.
    We try launch the service from different computer which has Navision Application Server installed, but always fail.
    It's possible have this kind of 3-tiers architecture base on Navision's tools? :?

May be I do not understand correctly your problem, but you can run NAS on another machine than NAV DB Server without problems. You just needs to run it under some domain account and this account must have enough permissions inside NAV. That's all. (and you need to have correct Net Type for your NAS). About the 3-tier architecture - I do not understand what you mean by this sentence... NAS is connecting to DB Server and is running as a service. What do you more?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • gisongison Member Posts: 128
    Hi kine,

The only difference is Navision Application Server and Windows service is in the same machine. Due to some permission control reason, so we need to separate to different machine.
    :?
    What do you mean by "Windows service"?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    i also doesn't understand you.

You can run the NAs on the same or on a other maschine.
    For login, the NAS Service account must have a Windows User (Domain) and this user must have access to the Database and the NAS must connect to the Database server.
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    You know, our windows system always have many services.
    Path: Start -> control panel -> Administrative tools -> services
    This is what i mean.....it's call service..?! Am I wrong? :|
    and "Navision Application Server" what i mean is a software which we install to operate the "Windows service"
    gison wrote:
    and "Navision Application Server" what i mean is a software which we install to operate the "Windows service"

It doesn't "operate" the windows service, but it is working as a service... :wink:

And now back to your problem. You have installed NAS on another PC and you want to run but it doesn't work? What message connected to the NAS you can see in your Event Log on the PC where NAS is installed?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309

NAS can call COM interfaces embedded in ocx or dll or exe (and Distributed COM as well - at least for me it worked with Excel application on another machine)

to call navision server - ehm what do you meanm by navision server here ? another instance of NAS ? or direct queries to MS SQL server ?
    I even cound't run it. I want to add a new Application Server in my Navision Application Server Manager(pc1), In the screen got 2 fields, one is "Host Name" I supposed it is the name of server which had service installed (pc2). The other field is "Service Name".
    After I fill out these two fields, then a error message shows up as following:
    "Unable to locate Application Server 'NAS service name' on computer 'pc2'."

:| it's hard to describe in English for me.... sorry..
    The service name is the name you can see in the Service name in the Service management console (list of Windows Services). It is just the last part of the name like "PC2-CLASSIC" or "PC2-SQL" (default names when NAS is installed on PC2 server).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Installing a NAS is so simple ....

Take a look here

http://www.mibuso.com/howtoinfo.asp?FileID=15
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    Thanks for you guys.
    Actually, I can do it successful while service and Nas software is in same PC, I'll have a look this how-to article. :wink: