Options

When I should migrate to SQL sever

lreinaxlreinax Member Posts: 34
edited 2004-06-17 in Navision Financials
Hi all,
I,ve read much about this cuestion but I'm not sure about it.
We use navision 2.6 with native B.D on a PIII 1000 machine with 2 GB RAM, 2 hardisk 10.000 rpm RAID 0+1, 3GB database size and 30 concurrent users.

I,ve heard 50 or 60 users working concurrent is the limit to migrate SQL
Is that correct?

The decision depends on number of users or B.D size?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mpmp Member Posts: 20
    what OS you use
  • Options
    lreinaxlreinax Member Posts: 34
    we use windows 2000 sever.
  • Options
    bglxxbglxx Member Posts: 12
    the ms sql database is a nice tool - but it needs much more pc power than the navision CSIDE database.

The benefit of the ms sql database is the possibility to make external reports via sql statements. But that's all!

The Navision Financials software doesn't use all the nice possibilities of a powerfull sql server like referential integrity, stored procedures, etc.

So you can save money by using the CSIDE database. The ms sql server is usefull if you want to integrate business analytics or similar tools.

Best regards,

Bernd
    Carpe diem - carpe noctem
  • Options
    RobertMoRobertMo Member Posts: 484
    DB maintainance and connectivity is easier on SQL (backups...)
    but as said "stronger" server machine and SQL licences...
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    PaddyMullaneyPaddyMullaney Member Posts: 59
    Something worth noting is that fields of datatype CODE are converted to SQL datatype VARCHAR.

These sort in different orders. This can be a big problem on the Chart Of Accounts, if the field lengths are different for the account no. The following is an example of the different sort orders.

CODE

VARCHAR

A subtotal field of 1..2 therefore gives different results.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    I don't know that what I'm about to explain is valid for a 2.60 database. (mostly I'm working with 3.xx) Keep that in mind.

Indeed, the CODE field is converted to a VARCHAR, by default. There is a field-property called "SQL Data Type", where you can select "Integer" for the code-fields where you use only integers. That way, the sorting problem can be solved.

The possibility to use SQL Reporting is not the only advantage. The biggest advantage is that MS SQL Server handles concurrent users much better than the Native Server. Also, SQL Server uses recordlevel locking, while the native database uses table locking. Off course, when 50 users are working on the database, the table-lockouts will happen much more then on a SQL Server database.

But keep in mind, when migrating to SQL Server, there should be someone available in the company who can manage the SQL Server. Not only it's possible to manage the SQL Server, the SQL Server NEEDS to be managed. It is more work to maintain than a native ... .

Hope I could be of assistance...

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    DrexlDrexl Member Posts: 16
    Just a quick question on the same subject. What are the difficulties of the migration in regard of data itself? Is it easy to convert the data when migrating to the SQL server or are there many difficulties to be expected.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Well,

There is the tool on the cd: migrate.fob. I used this many times, and for me it converted the data perfectly. Don't shoot me that eventually it is not enough :wink:

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog