Altered database to single user mode - causes freeze

lagersjeflagersjef Member Posts: 57
Hi,

I activated the single-user mode in a database. When I clicked OK, a dialog saying something like "Moidfying database". This has been running for 2hrs now and Navision has frozen (not responding).

There were other user logged on to the databas when I changed to single-user mode, but the were inactive.

Will it be OK to hard-shutdown Navision from the task manager?

The database needs to be back in production in a few hours and I'm not sure how long I can wait. Other users can currently not log into the database.

This is NAV 40SP3 on SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition

Thanks for any help!

Answers

• lagersjeflagersjef Member Posts: 57
    I should have thrown out all other users before I changed it to single user mode.

The question now is what effect it will have if I cancel the ongoing modification. Will the action be rolled back or could I end up with a corrupt database?
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    When that happens I always break it off.

Single user mode should be in a split second. If it takes longer than that something is wrong.
  • lagersjeflagersjef Member Posts: 57
    Thanks for your quick reply Mark.

Stopping NAV from the task manager worked fine
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    I've had the problem too.
    It seems that the session waits until everyone leaves the DB, so it can put it in singleuser mode.
    Probably you have disabled the locktimeout. That is the reason that the session seems frozen.

So, before putting the DB in singleuser mode, make sure everyone is out of the DB. You can check that with the sessions => field "Database Name".
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!