you cannot use the file c:\program files\Microsoft Business

rochemarochema Member Posts: 3
:?: Looking for some help.
I have an issue with Navision 4.0 running on Windows Server 2003 in Terminal services mode. When the users try to launch the client on this terminal server they get the error "You cannot use the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Client\fin.smt because it is already in use."

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    rochema wrote:
    :?: Looking for some help.
    I have an issue with Navision 4.0 running on Windows Server 2003 in Terminal services mode. When the users try to launch the client on this terminal server they get the error "You cannot use the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Client\fin.smt because it is already in use."

Does anyone have a fix for this?

When you installed NAV, where you in Install mode, and logged in as Administrator? It could be that the file is not sharing properly.

It could also be a date/time issue if you are running in multiple time zones.

often just creating a new Desktop short cut to fin.exe can solve this.

Basically I have seen this issue quite a few times, but there are MANY different reasons for it, so you may have to spend some time finding the source, or you may find it in minutes.
    David Singleton
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    And the users needs to have write access into this folder to NAV correct work.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Oh and I should have said...

This error is because when you run fin.exe. it first looks at the FIN.STX file for the current language you are using. It then checks the time stamp on fin.smt to see if it needs to be recompiled. In reality this should only happen when you install, or change the time zone, but other things can trigger the creation. The error comes when either another user has locked the fin.smt file, or does not have permission to write to the folder where it is stored. Note that fin.STX is in the Language folder, but fin.smt the compiled version is in the NAV installed folder.

Anyway, either you will fix this in 5 minutes, or the issue will keep bugging you for weeks.
    David Singleton
    kine wrote:
    And the users needs to have write access into this folder to NAV correct work.

Yes I realized that I fogot to mention that... you beat me to it.
    David Singleton
  • rochemarochema Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Guys,

At least now I can start looking in the right direction in rellation to solving the issue.

=D>