Options

Recommendation for Right Memory Settings (AWE, PAE, 3GB)

johannes-robertjohannes-robert Member Posts: 4
edited 2008-05-14 in SQL General
I am looking for a recommendation or an overview for the memory settings in the OS and SQL-Server in different versions. What do I have to activate in the boot.ini when I have 4 GB or 8GB Memory, when I have Windows-Server 2003 Standard, Enterprise in 32 or 64 bit. What do I have to avtivate in SQL-Server2005. Are there any risks? You find a lot, sometimes different statements in the net. Does somebody have a general overview about these settings?

Thanks,

Johannes

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Because these things are connection between two worlds, the info is on more places.

e.g.
    Supported memory size of each Win version is in Win documentation
    Supported memory size of each SQL version on specific Win version is in SQL documentation
    What to enable can be described in this table (for 32bit):
    2-4GB /3GB
    4> /PAE /3GB on SQL /AWE
    16> /PAE on SQL /AWE
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    Check the blog of Waldo : http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/archive/2008/04/19/directions-diary-hardware-recommendations-to-make-your-installations-hum.aspx

In the file that you can download is a BEAUTIFUL table that lists the switches and when (not) to use them.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I am looking for a recommendation or an overview for the memory settings in the OS and SQL-Server in different versions. What do I have to activate in the boot.ini when I have 4 GB or 8GB Memory, when I have Windows-Server 2003 Standard, Enterprise in 32 or 64 bit. What do I have to avtivate in SQL-Server2005. Are there any risks? You find a lot, sometimes different statements in the net. Does somebody have a general overview about these settings?

Thanks,

Johannes

The correct setting if you have Win32 and SQL 32 is to upgrade to Win64 and SQL64 bit. :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090

Thanks,

Johannes

The correct setting if you have Win32 and SQL 32 is to upgrade to Win64 and SQL64 bit. :mrgreen:
    I never found these 2 settings. Where are they? :mrgreen:
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    kriki wrote:
    I never found these 2 settings. Where are they? :mrgreen:
    Here: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/64bit/default.mspx 8)
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool