License File

Gold_2008Gold_2008 Member Posts: 22
Hi All,

What is the difference between fin.flf and partner's developer license file?

Regards,

Gold

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    By fin.flf I assume you are referring to the customer's license? As the partner license woul also be fin.flf when installed.

The differences are dependent on what granules have been included in the customer's license. Even if a customer's license contains all available granules there are still object ranges that cannot be accessed with a customer license.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Gold_2008Gold_2008 Member Posts: 22
    When I am installing NAV 4.0 SP3 standard product from Product CD, in my C:\porgram files\ microsoft business solutions\client folder, one fin.flf gets created.

I have got one license file from my company which they call it as developer license.

Now I want to know what is the difference between above two?
    The license file that is installed by default (during install) is the demonstration license. Sometimes referred to as the CRONUS license, as in the name of the demo company. This license has access to all the user granules but with very limited transaction ability. It is only possible to post entries over a small date range. It also allows some limited development. It's purpose is for demonstrating the system.

This would be replaced by the customer's license in an actual install.
    bbrown wrote:
    The license file that is installed by default (during install) is the demonstration license. Sometimes referred to as the CRONUS license, as in the name of the demo company.

Then why two files? fin.flf and CRONUS.flf?
    bbrown wrote:
    This would be replaced by the customer's license in an actual install.

We will have to rename customer licese file as fin.flf or we can keep original fin.flf as it is and put customer.flf in client folder instead of cronus.flf?
    Then why two files? fin.flf and CRONUS.flf?

When any license file is imported into Navision it is renamed to fin.flf. Fin.flf is the active installed license. (With SQL the Navision license is stored in the Master database.)
    We will have to rename customer licese file as fin.flf or we can keep original fin.flf as it is and put customer.flf in client folder instead of cronus.flf

The license install process handles the rename or you can manually rename. Which ever license is named fin.flf is what Navision will use. In a client server setup the license used is the one on the server, not the one on the client.
    Mibuso Rocks! Thanks for the reply!! =D>

but tell me one thing...

If NAV directly uses fin.flf then what is the need to import/ upload the license file in server? :-k
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    You need upload for SQL server.

Import is a graphical way for the user to change it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    ara3n wrote:
    You need upload for SQL server.

Import is a graphical way for the user to change it.

I really did not get it....!!! :(
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    In Order to load the fin.flf on the sql server, you need to do it through the upload button only.

The import button is users to be able to do it through the client, without telling them to go to a folder and change this file.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    When using the native database, the license file is just a file (fin.flf) stored on the database server.

With the SQL version, it is a record stored in a table in the master database. Unless you have the "per database" granule,thne it is in the NAV database.
    ara3n wrote:
    In Order to load the fin.flf on the sql server, you need to do it through the upload button only.

Ok... so I am understanding it in this way...

While working on SQL option for NAV, first import the customers license file in NAV, then upload it on C:\Program Files\MBS\Client\ as fin.flf

So, everytime a client opens NAV, this fin.flf be used and represent customer's license...

Am I right?? :D Or Wrong?? :(

Regards,

Gold
  • diptish.naskardiptish.naskar Member Posts: 360
    If u are using the Microsft Dyanmics NAV proprietory database and you use the import button to import a flf file the same gets copied in the clinet machine, you again don't need to copy the liscence to any location. In case you are using the SQL Server you use the upload button to upload a license file to the server.
    Diptish Naskar
    For any queries you can also visit my blog site: http://msnavarena.blogspot.com/
    If u are using the Microsft Dyanmics NAV proprietory database and you use the import button to import a flf file the same gets copied in the clinet machine, you again don't need to copy the liscence to any location. In case you are using the SQL Server you use the upload button to upload a license file to the server.

Even with the NAV proprietory database the license is stored on the server. The difference is that in this situation it is just a file (fin.flf) in the database server folder. With SQL it's stored in the database.

In either situation a license file on the client is not used. (There are some exceptions, but let's not confuse thing right now).
    Thanks for all the replies but I still did not get answer to my simple question...

"Is my understanding right or wrong?"

Regards,

Gold
  • MMDMMD Member Posts: 2
    Gold_2008 wrote:
    ara3n wrote:

Ok... so I am understanding it in this way...

While working on SQL option for NAV, first import the customers license file in NAV, then upload it on C:\Program Files\MBS\Client\ as fin.flf

So, everytime a client opens NAV, this fin.flf be used and represent customer's license...

Am I right?? :D Or Wrong?? :(

Regards,

Gold

According to ara3n, you can do either one of the two. There's no need to do both.
    The license file on the client is not used. It's the one on the server (native) or in the Master database (SQL) that is used.