Field Ship/ Invoice in Sales Header

tro#1tro#1 Member Posts: 122
I just cannot find it - maybe somebody knows...

When do field:
Ship
Invoice
Shipping No. and
Posting No.
get filled in a sales header?

The number series for orders, posted shipments and posted invoices are different ones.

I have some orders in the system which have not been posted yet but do have above mentioned fields filled. There are some other orders where the fields are not filled. And I just cannot find out what the difference is. I changed the status, printed pick list and also tried to post them (with missing mandatory dimensions) but the fields do not fill.

Comments

• Revolution1210Revolution1210 Member Posts: 161
    edited 2008-05-06
    The Ship and Invoice boolean fields on the header are populated during posting:

When you make a shipment, Ship will be set=TRUE
    When you post an invoice, Invoice will be set=TRUE

You will find the Shipping No. and Posting No. fields are generally blank.
    During posting, a check is made to determine if they are blank - if so, then the relevant No. Series is used to generate the shipment and invoice nos etc.

If your implementation dictated, you could put these fields on screen (they're not by default), on the Sales Order form for example, and allow the user to enter these fields manually, where they will be used instead of a number from a series.
    Ian

www.NextEqualZero.com
    A technical eye on Dynamics NAV
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    The number series get called, I believe on creation of the header, so if they were not there at the start they were not in the setup at this point.

The ship Boolean is set to yes when one of the lines is shipped, not sure about the invoice one, when it is fully invoiced makes no sense as it will no longer be there!
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Revolution1210Revolution1210 Member Posts: 161
    AdamRoue wrote:
    The number series get called, I believe on creation of the header, so if they were not there at the start they were not in the setup at this point.

The ship Boolean is set to yes when one of the lines is shipped, not sure about the invoice one, when it is fully invoiced makes no sense as it will no longer be there!

You could partially invoice something though, in which case Invoice will be set=TRUE.

They basically indicate that a Shipment has taken place and an invoice has been posted from that order.
    Ian

www.NextEqualZero.com
    A technical eye on Dynamics NAV
  • ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    that boolean fields (ship, receive and invoice) are used posting routines in cu 80 internally. they dont mean anything in sales order because same order can be involved in different posting in different ways such as "get sipment lines" feature in invoice screen.

You will find the Shipping No. and Posting No. fields are generally blank.
    During posting, a check is made to determine if they are blank - if so, then the relevant No. Series is used to generate the shipment and invoice nos etc.

If your implementation dictated, you could put these fields on screen (they're not by default), on the Sales Order form for example, and allow the user to enter these fields manually, where they will be used instead of a number from a series.
    this is correct. but,if you use no series, those fields can remain filled in when any error occurs after "posting no" are generated in sales posting routine. when try to post document again after correcting error in the document, system wont generate new posting no and will use old no in "posting no" field.
  • tro#1tro#1 Member Posts: 122
    The confusing thing is:
    The order I am looking at has not been posted at all. Neither shipped nor invoiced.

To recreate an example like this I even tried it with a new order. I chose a posting date which was not in the allowed range. I tried to post it. It aborted like wanted. I did the same with no "Quantity to ship" filled out. The order did not post at all. But "Ship" did not get changed to "Yes". It is still "No". The same if any mandatory dimensions are missing.

So obviously it must be something what happens later in CU80. But since I do not have a shipment CU80 must have aborted afterwards.