Options

How many Dimensions available ?

Aure69Aure69 Member Posts: 30
edited 2004-05-05 in Navision Financials
A customer who uses the 2.6 version (it's impossible to run Attain versions because of an add-on) wants to use the dimensions but how many dimensions are available ? I think there are 2 dimensions in the standard application and that you can have 8 if you buy the "dimension" (don't know the name in English !) granule. Am I right ?

Thanx for your answers ! :wink:
Business Analyst
Incadea (Vertical solution for the automotive market based on Nav 2.60)
French speaking European/African/Indian Ocean countries.

Comments

• Options
    eromeineromein Member Posts: 589
    But if you are gonna downgrade it, you could renumber it at the same time. This would mean you don't need to buy a new license at all.

I don't know the answer to your question :(
    "Real programmers don't comment their code.
    If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand."
  • Options
    Edward_BloomfieldEdward_Bloomfield Member Posts: 155
    In 2.60, there are only two dimensions. You can only have the extended dimensions if you upgrade fully (Objects and executables) to 3.XX. With regard to trying to retrofit the newer dimension functionality to a 2.60 database, I would not even think about it, as it is so complex.

Prior to 3.XX, I do know of a number of Navision Financials sites that had had additional dimensions added to all the relevant tables in their databases, but it was a big job.
    Edward Bloomfield

Lead Consultant
    Theta
  • Options
    Thanx for your explanations. I'm going to think over to find the best solution...
    Business Analyst
  • Options
    alpapalpap Member Posts: 3
    Actually in every version prior to 3.xx of Navision there are 3 dimensions:

Department
    Project
    Business Unit

Regards,

Alex
  • Options
    alpap wrote:
    Actually in every version prior to 3.xx of Navision there are 3 dimensions
    Sometimes I read 3, sometimes I read 2... I know about Department and Project but I am not sure about the meaning of "business unit", where do you find this dimension ?
    Business Analyst
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Although those values can be used in the dimensions system, they are actually not dimensions at all, at least not in the Navision sense of the word. They are just fields with a table relationship. So the Department code just looked up into the Department table. The Project code just looked up into the Project table.

Then, from 3.10 on (I think) Navision implemented a more generic way of enabling users to analyze ledgers using dimensions, because some companies did not want Department or Project in there. So now you can customise dimensions and call them poopie if you want :) they look up into the dimension and dimension value tables now.

Dimensions as implemented in Navision now are not available for 2.6.
  • Options
    Edward_BloomfieldEdward_Bloomfield Member Posts: 155
    Hello,

AlPap is correct insofar as there is a third, "Business Unit" dimension. This is a "special" case, that is slightly different to Department and Project, and is used in consolidation. You use "Business Unit" in your consolidated company and assign "Business Units" to each subsidiary company in your database. You then consolidate your figures from your subsidiary companies into your parent company and you can then perform the same sort of analysis to subsidiaries as you would with Project or Department.

You can find the Business Units by going ->
    General Ledger -> Periodic Activities -> Consolidation -> Business Units.
    Edward Bloomfield

Lead Consultant
    Theta
  • Options
    RobertMoRobertMo Member Posts: 484
    You can allway add additional field, like MyDim1, to all related tables and pass it thorugh them in codeunits
    For example to add aka-"dimension" for items, you should add a field in master table: T27
    document tables: T37,T39
    journal tables: T81,T83. (maybe some more)
    entries tables: T32
    posted doc. tables: T111,T113,T115, T121,T123,T125...
    and add code that transfers this filed in CU12,CU22,CU80,CU90

you can do it till first coffee break :wink:
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    Thanx :wink:
    Business Analyst