What is the relation between the COGS and Discount Account.

shankar25_12_82shankar25_12_82 Member Posts: 45
Hi,

Already we have set it up that the COGS and Inventory Adjustment Account are same, and when ever we do the transaction having some discount and it is hitting the COGS account as well the Inventory Adjustement Account, Now I want to know the relation between the COGS and Inventory Adjustment Line created in the General Ledger, also how can i identify that this discount line is related to this COGS only.

Suggestion will be appreciated.

Regards
Shankar R

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Look at the discount account in the posting setup, not sure if you are talking sales or purchase, but I guess you have it pointing to the COGS in the GL. Very strange not to separate it out for me, it reduces you margin, by taking into COGS you are recognising it twice, but it depends how you have set the system up and how you are processing and if there are any modification. Ask the account if they post an invoice for 100 with 10% discount and 80 cost if they want to see the cost as 90 as that is what it sounds like you have configured the system to show you in the GL.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • shankar25_12_82shankar25_12_82 Member Posts: 45
    Actually we have made the setup like this only and now our COGS account getting hitted by the Discount Amount, Now we need to get the total amount of this Discount, Is there any possibilty to identify this is my discount Amount from the Transaction.. Don't tell me go to Navigate --> put the document no and see it, here im having more than 10,000 transaction, need to know that there is some relationship there, so i can make some sort of report and pull the values in the report.

Regards
    Shankar R
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    No hard and fast way of doing this. Ultimately if you have an amount and document number hitting your sales the same document number will be in discount, just a reverse sign and different amount, this would give you a starting point, so no there is no relationship - you create the posting metrics, so you have told it to go there. Try starting on the posted sales line and identifying the sales discount here. then referncing it back to your COGS account. No easy way though as it will have a source of sales and a document number, but "why" is not captured I believe, but ask a developer, they maybe able to tell you something different or a way of identifying these entries.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen