Payments in Advance

andrespeandrespe Member Posts: 3
Hi, I´m new in the forum. I´m working on posting groups for customers and vendors. The questions is how to configure Navison to assign another general ledger account for payments in advances.
For example, for a customer the receivables accounts must be an asset account but for payments in advance for this customers should be a liability account. Is this possible in Navision? How it works?

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    The sales and purchase prepayment account can be specified on the posting setup for general and product posting groups.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • tdn1234tdn1234 Member Posts: 47
    Could you please explain where prepayment a/cs needs to be defined.
    Thanks
    =;
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    andrespe wrote:
    Hi, I´m new in the forum. I´m working on posting groups for customers and vendors. The questions is how to configure Navison to assign another general ledger account for payments in advances.
    For example, for a customer the receivables accounts must be an asset account but for payments in advance for this customers should be a liability account. Is this possible in Navision? How it works?

The prepayment granule in version 5.0 forward has this functionality out of the box. What version are you using?
  • tdn1234tdn1234 Member Posts: 47
    I am using Nav 4.

The financial entires would be

Bank
    To Advance from Customer.

Customer
    Advance form Customer
    To Sales.
    (at the time of sale)

However in the current situation the functionality needs to be customized
    in the customer posting group.
    :D
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Yep it is new functionality in version 5, so assuming you do not want to re-design the wheel and can upgrade you might want to have a look at the prepayments element.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • andrespeandrespe Member Posts: 3
    I am using Nav 4 too.

Bank
    To Advance to Vendors (Assets).

Could somebody explain me if I must customize the vendor posting group or business and product posting groups??

Thanks!
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    andrespe wrote:
    I am using Nav 4 too.

Bank
    To Advance to Vendors (Assets).

Could somebody explain me if I must customize the vendor posting group or business and product posting groups??

Thanks!

Take a look at how 5.0 handles prepayment. You may be able to copy the code there into your 4.0 database.
  • matias_jaurematias_jaure Member Posts: 157
    Hi Andres!

Here are some thoughts regarding Customers But works for Vendors too.
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37050

Welcome to the forum, and ask me if you have some question, since we are in the same building!... jajajajaja
  • ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    actually i have written this functuality for nav 4.0 last month.
    in turkey, one customer/vendor can use different a/r/p account in uniform chart of account according to type of transaction.

you can simply implement different A/P account for "payment in advance" by
    1. creating all of possible posting groups for vendor/customer.
    2. enabling "Posting .Group" field of Gen. Journal Line so that users can select correct posting group in journal.
    3. adding some code line in gen.Jnl-Post Line codeunit.

but there exist some other important points.
    1. after invoice comes from vendor and is applied to payment in advance, you should transfer invoice amount from payment in advance account to real A/P account. so, you should investigate Gen. Jnl-Pos line codeunit for this.
    2. If payment in advance is in foreign currency, adjust exchange rate batch job should post adjusment amounts to the payment in advance account, not normal A/P account defined in vendor card.

this list could continue..

hope this helps.
  • ajp5260ajp5260 Member Posts: 7
    I am currently using NAV 4. Where do I 'enable "Posting Group" field' so I can access this field when posting in a Journal?

The only way I was able to make this work was by changing the Posting Group directly on the Customer Card.

My goal is to have the customer down payments post to a liabiltiy account and not the A/R.

Thanks! :-k
  • ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    ajp5260 wrote:
    I am currently using NAV 4. Where do I 'enable "Posting Group" field' so I can access this field when posting in a Journal?

The only way I was able to make this work was by changing the Posting Group directly on the Customer Card.

My goal is to have the customer down payments post to a liabiltiy account and not the A/R.

Thanks! :-k

"Posting group" field is in "Gen. Journal Line" table. go to table designer, design "Gen. Journal Line" table. find "Posting group" field. from properties, set "editable" property to yes.

I need to warn you that this won't be enough to accomplish your goal. you have to change gen joural posting routines fro system to take care of manually selected posting group in gen. journal.
    but there exist some other important points.
    1. after invoice comes from vendor and is applied to payment in advance, you should transfer invoice amount from payment in advance account to real A/P account. so, you should investigate Gen. Jnl-Pos line codeunit for this.
    2. If payment in advance is in foreign currency, adjust exchange rate batch job should post adjusment amounts to the payment in advance account, not normal A/P account defined in vendor card.
    as i said before, be carefull with it.