Lot Numbers Question (clarification)

pmusupmusu Member Posts: 55
Hi,

A Navision business process question.

I am trying to figure out how Lot Numbers work and I would like to clarify the following.

If you purchase a quantity e.g. 20 of item 1 and assign lot number 20 and the next day purchase another 20 of item 1.

The next day (day 3), you have to sell qty 30 of item 1.

When selling, does Navision create a new Lot No. or uses the existing Lot Number.

If I sell 30, will Navision use 20 with lot no. of day 1 and 10 of day 2, or create a new Lot No.

I think it will use existing Lot Numbers, as the aim of Lot Nos. is to track products from when they enter to when they exit the system.

However, I just wanted to confirm the above.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Of course, yes, it will use the Lot Nos. you entered on purchase...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    "I think it will use existing Lot Numbers, as the aim of Lot Nos. is to track products from when they enter to when they exit the system. "

This is not necessarily true, but it is the way I recommend you implement it! In Navision you can ignore any inbound lot number and define your own on the outbound side.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    It depend on setup you did. You can setup that NAV will track Lot Nos, then everything you buy should have same numbers as sold items.
    You, as well, can setup NAV in a way, that let say for purchase operations you use Lot Nos, but when you sell it doesn't matter.