Whether NAS works in Workgroup

aniruddha_majumdaraniruddha_majumdar Member Posts: 57
Dear Friends,

Is it possible to configure NAS in a machine poiniting its database in another machine in a workgroup.

Here we have 2 machines in workgroup

One is to be configured as Application Server(NAS will be installed) other is to be configured as database server(SQL Server).
Thanks & Regards,
Aniruddha

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    NAS requires Windows Authentication which requires a Windows domain.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    bbrown wrote:
    Not exactly :)

It works even with workgroups, under the following condition:

Same user exists on both machines and uses the same password

I run the NAS on Vista (4.0SP3) and the DB server on XP.
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    a windows domain and Active Directory are not requ. for NAS.
    If you have two nas on different workgroups, than it works only if the user "A" is created on both windows groups with the same password. It's the same prinzip like sharing folders in a workgroup
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • SoumyadipSoumyadip Member Posts: 209
    Suppose the user id is Administrator & the password is PWD.

In the NAS Service -> Properties -> Log On i have mentioned the same. Windows has ammended the username to .\Administrator

The service is running fine.

To Test - I have written a Message in Application Management - NASHandler()

I should reflect that in the event viewer. But the message that is coming is "The combination of the User ID and Password is invalid"...

Please help.
    Soumyadip wrote:
    Suppose the user id is Administrator & the password is PWD.

In the NAS Service -> Properties -> Log On i have mentioned the same. Windows has ammended the username to .\Administrator

The service is running fine.

To Test - I have written a Message in Application Management - NASHandler()

I should reflect that in the event viewer. But the message that is coming is "The combination of the User ID and Password is invalid"...

Please help.
    Did you setup the windows login for administrator in the database ?
    Torsten
    todro wrote:
    bbrown wrote:
    Not exactly :)

It works even with workgroups, under the following condition:

Same user exists on both machines and uses the same password

I run the NAS on Vista (4.0SP3) and the DB server on XP.

Interesting approach. I never thought about that. How are you assigning the NAS user (local Windows account) as a Windows Authenticated user in NAV?
    with following: .username
    garak wrote:
    with following: .username

Entering "computername\username" works but .username returns the error "unknown Windows user".
    Same problem here. I think it is because -

I am using SQL Server at the back end & in SQL Server I am not being able to create an appropriate User (Windows Authentication) in SQL server with MechineName\Administrator. If I create the same using Database Authentication, NAV loggin is generating Error.

Please help.
    sorry. forgotten the "\" -> .\username
    Repeating the question - -

I am using SQL Server at the back end & in SQL Server I am not being able to create an appropriate User (Windows Authentication) in SQL server with MechineName\Administrator. If I create the same using Database Authentication, NAV loggin is generating Error.
    Soumyadip wrote:
    Repeating the question - -

What error message do you get when you try to create the user ? I guess you are referring to the SQL login ? I have seen several times that the login is created although I got an error displayed (verified a minute ago...)

If you are using SQL2005, make sure you setup the correct extended stored procedure. If you are running the DB in "Enhanced Security Mode", you need to setup the xp_ndo_enumusergroups stored procedure also contained in xp_ndo.dll like the xp_ndo_enumusersids for the "Standard Security". Installation instructions can be found on the Product CD \SQL_esp\readme.txt

Do not forget to synchronize manually if you are using enhanced security mode...

Works fine for me in standard and enhanced mode, running NAS as service or from command line on the second machine...
    Torsten
    The error "unknown Windows user" is occurring for me when I attempt to add the user to NAV as a Windows Authenicated user (Tools - Security - Windows Logins)

I have tried this with both Standard and Enhanced security and I do have the extended stored procedures created.
    bbrown wrote:
    The error "unknown Windows user" is occurring for me when I attempt to add the user to NAV as a Windows Authenicated user (Tools - Security - Windows Logins)

I have tried this with both Standard and Enhanced security and I do have the extended stored procedures created.
    Works like a charm when I add the windows user on the machine running the SQL server, it does not work when trying to add the user from the other machine (where the NAS is running)
    Torsten
    todro wrote:
    bbrown wrote:

Works like a charm when I add the windows user on the machine running the SQL server, it does not work when trying to add the user from the other machine (where the NAS is running)

Yes, like I said earlier it works when I add the user as "computername\username" (at the SQL box), but not when I try to add as ".username" or ".\username".

This would also mean that the security sync must always be done directly at the server. Not always practical.
    bbrown wrote:
    todro wrote:
    bbrown wrote:

Yes, like I said earlier it works when I add the user as "computername\username" (at the SQL box), but not when I try to add as ".username" or ".\username".

This would also mean that the security sync must always be done directly at the server. Not always practical.

The original question was about running NAS on another machine and this is what I can confirm. It might not be convenient to be setup, but it works, although I only see this for easy testing purpose and/or diverted installation.

You are referring to a "remote administration" and this is basically not supported by Navision/NAV since they offered windows login and we have been seeing the cryptic SIDs always on the machines the accounts are not local to. But anyway, since NAV offeres TCPS, things have additionally changed and from a networking and security point of view, the non-domain approach is not the right one, except for testing.
    Torsten
    Since the question did not specify I answered from the context of a production systems. Also "Remote Administration" works just fine provided the remote workstation is in the same domain and all users are domain users.

Perhaps we read the question differently. Perhaps the orginal poster could clarify whether they were asking about a test or production enviroment. The answers to many questions can change as the question's context changes.
    The original question is -

Scenario:
    In the production enviroment i have two different servers. one for SQL DB and the other for NAS. I had to do this as thrs a lot of processes would be running from NAS and it needs to be in a seperate dedicated server.

Problem:
    Both the servers are in workgroup and I need to mention the proper user credentials in the NAS services to being able to log in to DB. As the computers are in workgroup i am not being able to get an appropriate user having access to both the servers.

Question:
    My question was....is it mandatory to have both the servers in domain, if i want to have SQL DB and NAS in to seperate servers?