Super Role Issues

diptish.naskardiptish.naskar Member Posts: 360
Hi,

I am having a strange problem with the SUPER role that is present in NAV. I am using MS Dynamics NAV SP3 with SQL Server 2005 SP2. When I am restoring a database and creating 2 super users say A and B both have been given the role super and synchronized, while A is the DBO in SQL server 2005 and user B is just the Navision super user.

The problem is: When we are importing new objects to the database and that too with the range which can be accessed by the client liscence, the user A can acess the objects whereas the user - B (who is also the super user) does have permission problems.

Has anyone come across such problem?
Diptish Naskar
For any queries you can also visit my blog site: http://msnavarena.blogspot.com/

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    That is because you need to synchronize user B again.
    You have to do that every time you import objects, change something in the security setup (roles,permissions,...).

The easiest thing to do is to use the Standard Security Model in Navision. That is available since 4.0SP3 and up.
    With this you don't need to synchronize anymore and you can also remove the db-owner role in SQL for user A (Except if he needs it for some reason in SQL).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    SUPER role on MSSQL doesn't mean that you have enough roles on SQL to create or change the tables. You need to be DB_OWNER or Sysadmin on the server to be able to design the tables and thus import the object (but SUPER is enough if you are importing just reports, forms, codeunits etc. but not for tables).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • cincaicincai Member Posts: 24
    Hi all,

I have a scenario from my client that the user permission will be lost whenever we restore a DB or update an object. The user has other excess to other DB also.

His user rights to NAV DB will be lost while the excess to other DB still remain. Do you think this is the same issue?

Thank you
    This is common when extended security mode is used. If you are using extended sec. mode, you need to resynchronize permissions each time you create new table, SIFT etc. I recommend to use standard sec. mode...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • cincaicincai Member Posts: 24
    Hi Kine,

Sorry, may I know where to set the extended security mode?

Thks
    If you are using NAV 4.00SP2 or up, see File-Database-Alter-Advanced-Security model. If you are using older versions of 4.xx, there is no setup for that...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.