• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    pdj wrote:
    This links say it is ready:
    https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... _nav50.htm

This link say it is expected to be ready 3 months after it's release:
    https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... er2008.htm

Anyone who knows the truth?

Hmm I think they said "within three months of the release" not "3 months after it's release"
    David Singleton
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    These are the feature list. I'm looking forward to filtered indexes, linq,
    Security/Auditing
    - Transparent Data Encryption (encryption while data is 'still' on disk, transparent to applications)
    - External Key Management (Consolidation of key management, integration with external products)
    - Data Auditing (1st-class 'AUDIT' objects; DDL support; audit objects, principals, data, etc.; support for multiple logging targets)

Availability/Reliability
    - Pluggable CPU support
    - Enhanced Database Mirroring (compression of mirror streams, enhanced performance, automatic page-level repair for principal/mirror)

Performance
    - Data compression (easy to enable/disable online, more efficient data storage (this is NOT traditional data compression))
    - Backup stream compression (server level control or backup statement control, all backup types)
    - Performance data collection (single, common framework for data collection, reporting, and storage/warehousing)
    - Improved Plan Guide support (plan freezing, pull plans directly from plan cache, SSMS integration, etc.)
    - Resource Governor (create pools and groups to govern, define classifications based on built-in functions, segment resource utilization amoung groups)

Management
    - Policy-based management framework (manage via policies vs. scripts, enterprise-wide support, automated monitoring/enforcement, etc.)
    - Integrate with Microsoft System Center
    - Extended Events (high perf lightweight tracing infrastructure, NOT sql trace, integrated with ETW, unprecidented insight into goings-on)

Development Enhancements
    - Improved datetime datatypes (100th nanosecond precision (7 digits past second), time-zone datetime offset, date only, time only)
    - HierarchyID datatype (hierarchical-aware data type, ORDPath values, built-in functions, methods, etc.)
    - Entity Data Model support (develop 'business entities' vs. tables, model complex relationships, retrieve entities vs. rows/columns)
    - LINQ
    - Sql Server Change Tracking (Change Data Capture, get 'diff' data changes WITHOUT a comparible value (i.e. datetime, timestamp, etc.))
    - Table Valued Parameters
    - MERGE statement ('upsert' data, also includes deletion functionality)
    - Large UDT's (no more 8000 byte limit on CLR-based UDTs, no more 8000 byte limit for UDA's)
    - Spatial data (GEOMETRY and GEOGRAPHY data types, built-in spatial function support, spatial indexes)
    - XML enhancements (support for lax validation, office 12 support, xs:dateTime support, lists/union types, LET FLOWR support, etc.)
    - Inline initialization and compound assignment

Service Broker
    - New UI and Tools for working with (add/drop/edit functionality within SSMS, Diag tools, )
    - Conversation Priority (set message ordering, send/receive impact, 1-10 levels)

Data Storage
    - Data compression (see above)
    - FILESTREAM attribute (get the 'best of both' functionality from BLOBs in the DB vs. BLOBs on filesystem, no more "to blob or not to blob")
    - Integrated Full Text Search (FTS fully integrated into DB engine, no external storage, no external service, more efficient and reliable costing)
    - Sparse columns (more efficient storage for 'wide' tables with many columns that repeat and don't contain data)
    - New index types (spatial indexes, hierarchical indexes, FILTERED indexes (indexes on filtered values within columns), etc.)

Data Warehousing/ETL
    - Partitioned Table Parallelism (no more thread limit per partition)
    - Star Join support (no special syntax, optimizer based, full backward syntax support)
    - Data compression (see above)
    - Resource Governor (see above)
    - Persistent Lookups in SSIS (no more re-querying for lookup operators, cache lookups in multiple ways, persist lookups to disk)
    - Improved thread scheduling in SSIS (shared thread pool, pipeline parallelism)
    - Change Data Capture (see above)
    - MERGE statement (see above, great uses with slowly changing dimensions)
    - Scale-out analysis services (read-only storage supports multiple AS servers)
    - Subspace computations
    - New Tools for Cube design
    - Best Practice Design Alerting
    - Backup cubes with better scalability
    - Data-mining add-ins for Excell

Reporting
    - IIS Agnostic Reporting Services Deployment (no IIS required to run RS any longer)
    - Rich-text support
    - Enhanced visualiztion (graphing)
    - New Word rendering (render reports to Microsoft Word)

Deprecation
    - Many 'old' features ARE REMOVED/GONE (those that have been deprecated for some time - 60/65/70 compat modes, nolog / truncateonly syntax, etc.)
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    ara3n wrote:
    These are the feature list. I'm looking forward to filtered indexes, linq,

2008 is a pretty impressive product, though in our world, a lot of the new performance features are out of our league. I was at a SQL 2008 session about a year ago, and the presenter was asking if anyone had some clients with some 50-100 size databases that they could put into the new beta program. It took me a while to realize that he wanted 50-100 TERRA byte databases, making our 100Gig NAV databases look pretty trivial.

Definitely filtered indexes will be usable in our world, but lets hope we have a way of activating them at the NAV level, and don't have to do it at the SQL level.

Actually the concept of Filtered indexes was proposed by Navision when they were planning the move to Windows. Filtering would only have been on Boolean fields. It never made it into the product, but its amazing how far ahead in thinking that those Danes were way back then.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    When is SQL2008 currently expected to be released?
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Don't go by calendar, wait for their official announcement. Until that moment I am not recommending SQL Server 2008.
  • Options
    pdj wrote:
    When is SQL2008 currently expected to be released?

SQL 2008 is already released. The question to ask is "When is NAV ready for SQL 2008".
    David Singleton
  • Options
    SQL 2008 is already released.
    Really? I can't find it on the MSDN Subscriptions download pages. I have only been able to find the Community Technology Preview.
    Any links?
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    pdj wrote:
    SQL 2008 is already released.
    Really? I can't find it on the MSDN Subscriptions download pages. I have only been able to find the Community Technology Preview.
    Any links?

No I just know that there was a big release day here in Prague 2 weeks ago for Windows 2008 and SQL 2008.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    MS had already planned a worldwide triple release party, so the fact that two of the three products didn't make it was just a tiny detail. 8)
    Only VS2008 was available at the time of "release". Nether Windows Server 2008 nor SQL 2008 made it.

Found this link:
    http://www.betanews.com/article/CTP_for ... 1203538089
    right here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008 ... views.aspx

It seems August is the earliest date, but could easily be later.
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    pdj wrote:
    MS had already planned a worldwide triple release party, so the fact that two of the three products didn't make it was just a tiny detail. 8)
    Only VS2008 was available at the time of "release". Nether Windows Server 2008 nor SQL 2008 made it.

Found this link:
    http://www.betanews.com/article/CTP_for ... 1203538089
    right here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008 ... views.aspx

It seems August is the earliest date, but could easily be later.

:-k So the "free" software they were giving out at the launch, was that beta release stuff?
    David Singleton
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Only SQL Server 2008 is not released. At convergence they said nav 5.0 sp1 and 4.03 would immediately support SQL Server 2008 when released.
    The data compression feature is wonderful. It reduced the size of an Axapta database by 90% and increased overall performance at the cost of extra CPU utilization.
    The bad news - only available in Enterprise (vardecimal is available right now in SQL Server 2005 Enterprise). Plus NAV has to support it since compression and vardecimal require table changes via DDL and Navision has to know about it (that is Navision has to make the changes).
  • Options
    davmac1 wrote:
    Only SQL Server 2008 is not released.
    You are right. I just mis-read a Danish news article. Pretty sad considering I'm Danish. :oops:
    davmac1 wrote:
    The data compression feature is wonderful. It reduced the size of an Axapta database by 90% and increased overall performance at the cost of extra CPU utilization.
    Now you got me curious. Is your client using the CTP version for a live database?
    davmac1 wrote:
    The bad news - only available in Enterprise...
    Please take a look at this thread: http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120319 I'm sure you have a lot of info about this :wink:
    Regards
    Peter