SQL Database growth

FrekieFrekie Member Posts: 19
Hey All -
we are investigating to move a customer's native 4.00.sp1 environment to an sql server based environment.
We have used technical upgrade procedure to 5.00 and have restored the native database into sql server.
We found the sql database to have twice the size of the native database which we more or less expected but after running the optimazation within navision it has doubled again. We are now left with a database which is too large to be handled by the system.
Does any one knows how to decrease the size of the actual database ?
Thanx for any input.

Frederik Vandersteene

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I would expect some growth when moving to SQL but not to double in size. Unless there has been a lot of Sift added to the database. My gut feeling is this database is going to require ome performance tuning.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    If you created the SQL DB and you have not changed the Recovery mode to simple (it means it is still FULL), it means that every transaction is recorded in the Transaction log. And if you are not backing up the transaction log, it will grow and grow... Switch to simple mode and Shrink the transaction log using the SQL Management Studio...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Or... keep it at full and put a proper backup schedule in place.

By the way, you can check the setup of the files by running the disk usage report. In SSMS, right click your NAV database, open the Reports selection, then the Standard Reports selection and then select 'Disk Usage'. It might take a few seconds to come up, but it will show you a graphical representation of the data files of your database.
  • headley27headley27 Member Posts: 188
    I'm not sure if it is a requirement of the upgrade procedure from 4.0 to 5.0, but I would also be wary of the optimize function within Navision. It can cause problems with the SIFT tables.

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24454
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I have found the log file after conversion can be larger than the data files, so the first thing I do after a conversion is truncate the log file. If it is production, I will make a SQL backup first.