Recommended encoding when exporting from C#?

pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
I have a simple web solution in C# that exports a simple file to a folder.
TextWriter tsw = new StreamWriter("c:\SomeFile.txt", false, Encoding.GetEncoding(850));            
String Output = "#" + myrec.Field1 + "#;#" + myrec.Field2 + "#";
tsw.WriteLine(Output);
We then need to import the file into NAV, but keep getting problems with national characters. We have tried different encodings but keep getting problems.
I have looked at the generated files in a hex editor, and it seems it is using 3 bytes per national char, and 1 byte per global char. I originally expected we could get the IIS to export in extended ASCII but this is apparently not possible.
Which encoding or different method should I use to be able to import the files in NAV with or without an ANSI2ASCII converter?

If I don't find a solution shortly I might need to rewrite it to xml, but the file is very simple so it feels a bit overkill.
Regards
Peter

Comments

• hawwahawwa Member Posts: 106
    Why not just export the data in simple csv file. Navision has no problem dataport in the data in csv format.
  • pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    What do you mean? My file is basically a csv-file, just using different separators. Is the a special API to generate CSV files in C#?
    Regards
    Peter
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    You should try it with xml, xmlports can use UTF8 or UTF16 encoding so it will do the translation.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    :whistle: My mistake!
    The problem was not in the export, but in the ftp-upload code that was placed right after the above code. The upload method was not set to binary mode, so it tried to "fix" the ascii file...
    Regards
    Peter
  • SobyOneSobyOne Member Posts: 20
    Ouch!

I hate when that happens. ;)
    _\~ () ]3 `/ () |\| [-
    http://www.SobyLand.com
    651-815-0698