Technical Upgrade to 5.0 SP1 using SQL2005

Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
How do you guys recommend doing a technical upgrade to version 5.0 SP1 when the client is using SQL2005?

1. Open the database and convert it?
2. Do a full Backup, then restore the database?

If we just convert it, will it leave the unused SIFT tables in the database?

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The conversion process removes the SIFT tables.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    If you have enough time, do the backup and restore, if you don't have the time, do the upgrade route.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Alex Chow wrote:
    How do you guys recommend doing a technical upgrade to version 5.0 SP1 when the client is using SQL2005?

For a pure Exe upgrade, no change on SQL I would just connect to the DB and convert the DB. Its amazingly fast, I was very surprised at how fast the conversion goes.
    David Singleton
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Alex Chow wrote:

For a pure Exe upgrade, no change on SQL I would just connect to the DB and convert the DB. Its amazingly fast, I was very surprised at how fast the conversion goes.
    Probably because dropping of the SIFT-tables is very fast. Also removing the TSQL-code in the triggers and then just create some indexed views. This is baked into SQL, so it should be a lot faster to create. And it does not create all the SIFT-levels of previous versions.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!