Interesting Inventory (Item field) calculation

TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
NAV5, SQL2005.

Basically, let's say we have Item A.

On Item card, there is a field Inventory - where you get sum of Item Ledger Entries field Remaining Quantity.

On Item A the field Inventory is -100. When we drill down, we see two entries:
1. purchase receipt for 100.
2. sales shipment for -100.
Both entries are not Open, and Fully Invoiced.

Any ideas on why it can happen?

Furthermore, if I create a backup and restore it on Native database, Inventory field on Item card becomes 0 (instead of -100).

I thought I would share interesting question.

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    If you book a purchase receipt for another 100 in dos the inventory go to zero? Is the inventory on all items down the opening receipt? I am assuming there are no warehouse entries involved, although I am sure that view is an ILE sum.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • JamieBrownJamieBrown Member Posts: 107
    You could create a quick Item report and calculate the Inventory flowfield...

At least you'll be sure where the problem is...
  • TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    By the way, when we look Inventory by Location - we get 0 instead of -100.

Adam, no, there are no warehouse entries.
  • TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    The problem: SQL indexes...

Disabling/enabling keys with sumindexfields resolved the issue. However, I am still looking why did it happen in the first place.
  • KowaKowa Member Posts: 923
    It may be due to the confirmed SIFT-Trigger Bug with SQL databases , 4.0 has this too ( fixed in SP3 HF7 (Build 25307)). In your case, a technical upgrade to 5.0 SP1 should avoid this happening in future.

BTW, the "Inventory" flowfield sums up the quantity in the ILE, not the remaining quantity. Of course , the sum should normally be equal. :wink:
    Kai Kowalewski
  • tro#1tro#1 Member Posts: 122
    We do exactly have the same problem.

We are on 4 SP2. A technical upgrade to 5SP1 is scheduled.

Is there a hotfix for our version of Navision as well? It would be great if this issue could get fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    Yes, there is a newer 4.0 version available which will address this issue (and some others).

For a description why it happened look here:
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19387
    For a list of the latest available clients look here:
    http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/archive/2008/09/13/platform-updates-overview-3-70-b-nav2009-ctp4.aspx

But be warned: MS did change lots of other things in the updates - which might decrease performance. For a discussion about SP3 Update 6 look here:
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20831&highlight=

Using the latest 4.0 SP3 Update6.10 should be fine. You might want to disable index hinting though.

Always test on a test system first before going live!
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting