Navision and Third party application integration

farrelfarrel Member Posts: 25
Hi All,

I have a client that has an inhouse application and I need to write a code that will access their database and create sales order based on their data. My question is where is the safest way to call the codeunit that I wrote so that I't would be like an online integration between the two application. So that every creation of record on their application and whenever it meets the requirements it will create a sales order on navision.

Thanks in advance,
Farrel

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    All depends on what the application is able to do. Without this info... e.g. data are saved in SQL, the application can call webservice when something is triggered, or the data are somewhere and I will need to check it myself if there is something new etc...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from Navision Tips & Tricks forum to Navision forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• sendohsendoh Member Posts: 207
    Interesting topics..so farrel what version are you using right now is it native or SQL DB?
    Sendoh
    be smart before being a clever.
  • farrelfarrel Member Posts: 25
    sendoh wrote:
    Interesting topics..so farrel what version are you using right now is it native or SQL DB?

Hi, Am using SQL 2005 and NAV 5.0..
  • farrelfarrel Member Posts: 25
    kine wrote:
    All depends on what the application is able to do. Without this info... e.g. data are saved in SQL, the application can call webservice when something is triggered, or the data are somewhere and I will need to check it myself if there is something new etc...

Hi, The third party application is using SQL as their back end. i.e. when ever new Job order is posted this will trigger NAV to capture the posted JO to create new Sales Order based on that JO.

Thanks,
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    There are some ways you can go:

1) Using SQL Views you can connect the table from the app into your NAV DB as separate table, which you can read. Tan some process on NAS can check these data and if some new record is detected, it can create what you need in your tables and run the logic in NAV. PROS: all is within NAV, CONS: you canhave problems with security when the View is connecting to another SQL server than NAV is using. NAS must use some loop to check the data - it will be "semi-online" solution (some delay can be between inserting and processing)

2) You can do same as in 1 but without view, using just ADO to access the table and read the data.

3) You can use SQL to create some trigger on the table, where the external (from NAV point of view) application is inserting the data. This trigger will send message in some way to NAV (through NAS and MSMQ, TCP/IP or in another way) that there are some new data. PROS: will be "on-line" solution, the delay will be minimal. CONS: you need to have "know how" for creating the trigger.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.