Changing dimension values

remarkremark Member Posts: 122
Could you help me to realise,
are there any restrictions on changing dimension values after beginning posting transactions with these dimensions?

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I would like to add that I would love to delete 10 zillion dimensions. these things sure fill up a database, whooa!

And since we're using other programs for reports, Jet, Crystal, SQL, I don't really need them.

I bet it's a whole weekend thing and right at the end I bet it hits a
    1355 in Mod 19 error :whistle: and nothing changes

**sorry venting** 8-[
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Savatage wrote:
    ...I bet it's a whole weekend thing...

Only 1 weekend? :-k

I went thru this a few months back. The customer decided to reorganize dimensions on inventory. It took 2 weekend to update the live system. That's was after the 3 test runs to check everything and be sure on the timing. The site only has a 36 hour window each weekend for stuff like this.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • girish.joshigirish.joshi Member Posts: 407
    Of course - the size of the database is a big issue here.

I've done it before without too much trouble (1 day instead of 6) on smaller databases (~1 GB)
  • remarkremark Member Posts: 122
    To sum up, would it be correct to say that changing and adding values of dimensions is possible on any stage of using database without any restrictions but when database is large it can be very time consuming?

Right or no?
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    remark wrote:
    To sum up, would it be correct to say that changing and adding values of dimensions is possible on any stage of using database without any restrictions but when database is large it can be very time consuming?

Right or no?

The critical part is updating all the existing data. I've seen many an Adjust Cost break because someone decided to set "code mandatory" or "same code" 6 months after go-live.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • remarkremark Member Posts: 122
    Thank you! :D