Another Unicode problem - Japanese Text

jamesjames Member Posts: 56
Hi, I posted an thread about issues with the Euro Symbol that I have since solved, however has anyone here had to deal with Japanese text within a database set with English language .

This problem is only for one field in a table within Navision, so we cannot change our Language for Non-Unicode Applications for this problem, as it has to be English(United Kingdom). Navision receives this data externally from a UTF-8 xml.

Is there any way to read the characters that come into Navision and convert them so Navision shows the character as Japanese text, or is this impossible. Converting Euro is fine, as if you type in the correct Char value (176 - I said 177 in my previous thread as I have the non-unicode language as English(United States)) it is reprented correctly, but I assume (in fact I know) that the Char data type does not show Japanese text as it only goes to 255.

Is it possible to assign this field in the table to a specific font for example or is there another solution? This is a real issue and am extremely disappointed that Microsoft have no intention to make NAV unicode compliant.

Comments

• NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
    I agree as well. Nav is suppose to be world wide application, but in reality it's not. It behaves fine for a specific country, but once you start doing cross launguage/country implementation, you are left on your own.

Unicode is needed desparately. With the world globalization, companies are openning business in other countries, and Navision should allow you to do this.
    my 2 cents