Minimum PC spec V4.0 SP2 with/without SQL...

boywonderboywonder Member Posts: 179
Hi guys, please can you help answer a question I have...

I have a customer with a database of around 2Gb (at present) size who is upgrading to Navision V4 SP2 and wants to switch to SQL if possible.

His hardware is ancient and I wonder if it will even work.

- First question is does Nav V4 SP2 SQL work under Win NT Server 4.0? Any differences to under XP/2003?

- Second, will a P3 1Ghz Server with 512Mb PC133 Memory and several 9.1Gb SCSI drives (plus hardware RAID card) do the job?

If not what's the minimum spec these days based around a db that is 2Gb increasing by < 0.4Gb per year (approx).

Many thanks!!

Comments

• ar4ijsar4ijs Member Posts: 24
    1) Are you planning to run SQL server or Navision clients on Win NT 4.0?
    2) How many simultaneous users?

3) Which version of SQL - 2000 or 2005?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    P3 1Ghz Server with 512Mb - you will start the SQL server on that, but it will not be enough to use it with more than just few users (1-3). Any new "office desktop" will be better than this today... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • boywonderboywonder Member Posts: 179
    Nav clients are on XP just the server on NT4.

There will be around 20 concurrent users.

And it's SQL Srv 2005.

Surely a desktop with IDE drives would be slower than 10k rpm SCSI drives? Or have things moved on hugely since 10k was 'fastest' :?

• ar4ijsar4ijs Member Posts: 24
    Navision supports only Windows 2000 Server and above. Also I'm pretty sure your current server will not manage with SQL 2005 and SQL 2005 won't work on NT4.0.

Here is what Microsoft would recommend for your configuration:

Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition R2 x64 or x86
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition x64 or x86
    2x Xeon CPUs or cores
    4GB RAM
    and at best 15K RPM SCSI or SAS drives in RAID1 or RAID10. 10K RPM would also be ok.

Maybe you can use your old hardware if you go for Native database but it will be on the egde.