Database Used space automatically grows!?

JBeckJBeck Member Posts: 68
edited 2008-04-13 in Navision Financials
Hi,

I have a very unusual Problem.....
Recently the Server crashed and we had to set up a new one (luckily we made a copy of the database the day before).
I installed my Navision server and placed the copy of the database (2 partitions). Now when I connect with my client I get the message that a process is taking op all the recources (e.g. a print job or backing up the database). I made a new partition of 2 GB. This went well, but everytime I close the client and re-open it, it gives me the same message that the database is full and when I check the database info I see that the used space is at 100%.... I tested it again with an extra partition and it did the same thing...
can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,
JBeck

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    How was the copy of the database created that you recovered from. Was it made using Navision backup or is it a direct copy of the database files?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • JBeckJBeck Member Posts: 68
    The Copy was made using a direct copy.

Another question that I would like to ask is when setting up the navision server the installation asks me at some point if I like to choose the database now. The database consists of 2 partitions. Is it sufficient enough to only choose the first partition? and if not how do I select both partitions? I'm currently running nav 2.0 .

Thanks in advance,
    JBeck
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    JBeck wrote:
    The Copy was made using a direct copy.

Another question that I would like to ask is when setting up the navision server the installation asks me at some point if I like to choose the database now. The database consists of 2 partitions. Is it sufficient enough to only choose the first partition? and if not how do I select both partitions? I'm currently running nav 2.0 .

Thanks in advance,
    JBeck

That may be your problem, particularly if you have commitcache turned on. A direct copy of the data files cannot guarantee integrity. There may still be updates in cache that have not been flushed to disk.

You only need to specify the first file. It knows about the rest.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • JBeckJBeck Member Posts: 68
    Okay, so how could I solve this problem?

Is it maybe possible to solve this if I made a backup now using navision backup and restoring it?

And would you advice to turn off the commit cache?

Thanks in advance,
    JBeck
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    JBeck wrote:
    Is it maybe possible to solve this if I made a backup now using navision backup and restoring it?
    First thing would be to try that. BTW : restore in a completely new database.
    JBeck wrote:
    And would you advice to turn off the commit cache?
    It would be more secure in case of a crash, but your server would crawl without the commitcache. If you don't have the commitcache, each write has to be physically written to the disks, before the client is free again.
    Best advice would be to make a backup each night.
    -If you want to stay with 2.0, you can make a script to stop the service and to copy the files to another place and then restart the service. Regularly (once a week), you should open those files with the client (without using a server) and make a full backup to see if all is ok.

-Better would be to do a technical upgrade to 4.0SP3 so you can use hotcopy. This makes a filecopy of the database but it also checks integrity AND it can be used in batch.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    JBeck wrote:
    ... (luckily we made a copy of the database the day before)....

NNNNoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

LUCK is not a word you ever use in relation to backups.

](*,) #-o [-X
    David Singleton