Limitation for NAV 5.0 running on SBS

ryan_leeryan_lee Member Posts: 10
Can anyone tell what is the limitation for NAV 5.0 running of microsoft Small business server ?

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    You can run it on that platform for very VERY small implementations, like 2-5 users. With more users than that at some point performance will suck, because it is also running exchange, domain controller, and other applications.
  • ryan_leeryan_lee Member Posts: 10
    What about if user only use Windows Server 2003 in SBS, but not running other application ? can they use SBS ? or should i recommend them to use Window server 2003 standard edition ?
  • ar4ijsar4ijs Member Posts: 24
    Do your user plan to run SQL or Native database ?
    Plan to use Native Database. As the client only have 5 users for a start.
    There should not be any problems then.

SBS main limitations applies to Domain stuff and Terminal services.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ryan_lee wrote:
    What about if user only use Windows Server 2003 in SBS, but not running other application ? can they use SBS ? or should i recommend them to use Window server 2003 standard edition ?
    I have heard that before unfortunately :shock:

Just go fro Win 2003 Server. The danger here is that in a few months time things look fine so they then decide to use the Exchange server and Active Directory, (since they have paid for them), and slowly it just gets out of control.
    David Singleton
    Even if they decide to use Exchange and DC, with 5 user Native it will work fine.
    Just to be sure you have good server hardware to handle this.
    You just can't tell without knowing how they are going to use the system.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    SBS2003 lets you add another server to the domain. This means you get the advantage of the bundled server products on the SBS2003 server and can run your Navision database server on the other server.
    Still 2 servers, but less expensive than the standard editions if you want to run all those products.
    The next step up is the "business essentials?" servers which provides a package of 3 (or 4 if you want SQL Server) systems.

So don't be so quick to rule out SBS2003/8 - you just need to plan on 2 systems if you have have more than a small number of users.
    Absolutely, you can't rule anything out just because of the name of the product, you just have to be aware of the type of implementation. For very small implementation it could actually be a very nice and workable solution.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    My oldest Navision user is running NAV on an SBS server. Running smoothly for years and years. Exchange, DC NAV everything.

They run 12 users.

Just try. It is very easy to move to a new server when it fails.