Web hosting

BVGBVG Member Posts: 18
Hello All,

I have developed an application in the .Net environment, C#.
The Navision Database is on the SQL Server.

Now the problem is that how to make the web client interact with Navision database.

I am not able to host the web application.

Is there any document which can help in this. I have followed the MSDN manual steps.

What is the use of NAS? Do we have to use NAS in this scenario?

Any suggestion would be very helpful.

Thanks.
BVG

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The solution depends on what you need to do. If you want just to read some data sometime, you can read the data directly from the SQL (you just need to create correct connection and set all the things around as firewalls, port forwarding etc. - but this is out of NAV scope). If you need to read the data havilly, you can try to use some copy of the database, synchronized in some way with the live DB (transaction replication from NAV to the copy etc.). You can use NAS as a "webservice" which will answers the questions from the application etc.

There are many solutions for each case and you need help of someone who has good "know how". There is no "one post solution" for that.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • BVGBVG Member Posts: 18
    Thank you Kine,

I want to read as well update the Navision tables (on SQL) which will be quite frequent in the business scenario.

For that do I need to have NAS installed or I can read/write directly from .net to SQL.

Thanks.
    BVG
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You can use both (direct read/write and NAS), but all depends on what you want to read/write and other things. I recommend to use NAS because you have all the application business available. For writing into SQL directly I recommend to use separate, special tables created just for this purpose and use NAS to transfer the data into "live" tables (to do all the checks which are in the application business and preventing inconsitency of the DB in this way).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • BVGBVG Member Posts: 18
    With NAS in between does Navision starts behaving like a three tier.

I have never used NAS before. Where can I find the related material.
    There is a manual in the Navision CD for setup and configuration, but I need to know more about it that how much it is useful so that I devote my time to explore this.

Thanks.
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    There is some documentation as part of the ADCS set-up document (w1w1InstADCS.pdf) on the CD which should help
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html