Nav 3.70A - Database Usage keeps going to 100% after expand

MP_NAVMP_NAV Member Posts: 42
We have a client who started an incremental backup routine last night. At 2PM today he had it scheduled to backup. At 215PM the users notified that they were receiving a DB Full message. We expanded the DB by 5gigs (it was at 22GB). Within 5 minutes the DB was 100% used again. Expanded another 5gigs (even though at this point I know we have a problem). Again within 5 mins the DB is full.

Restored the 2PM backup. Database is full. I am currently running a NAV Backup and plan to create a new DB and restore into it.

I am not confident that this will help.

Do any of you have any ideas? I will most likely be here into the wee hours of tonight, so please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks,
MP
-MP

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Don't know what is causing it to fill up so quickly, but you might be mixing up which files exactly need to be expanded. It might be that your transaction log file is full, and you are expanding the data file. Or, you are expanding the primary data file, and it's the secondary data file that is actually used to store the data.

On SQL Server 2005 there is a standard report that you can run to see how the files in the database are used. Right click the database, select reports, standard reports, and then Disk Usage. This will give you a visual representation of how much of each file is in use. On SQL Server 2000 you can use the taskpad view to see this. In Enterprise Manager click on the view button and select 'taskpad'.

To truncate active transactions you'll need to to a transaction log backup, which should only be necessary if you're on full or bulk logged recovery model.
  • MP_NAVMP_NAV Member Posts: 42
    Denster,
    I apoligize, I failed to mention that this is a Native DB not SQL... although at this point in the evening the client is wishing he had gone SQL.

My Backup is now at 95% complete, so in another 10 hours or so I should know if the Restore is going to work...

Thank you for the response though, and if you have any thoughts related to the Native DB, please feel free :)
    -MP
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    How big is the backup files.

When I create a db the rule of thumb is to create the .fdb twice and half the size of the .fbks.

So if the fbk is 100 meg, the db should be 250 meg.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    The backup failed on me at 98% completed. The database should have 18GB used, however it is currently sitting at 32.5GB with 100% used.

I am running out of options...

Their one and only server backup appears to have the same issues, although it is only at 22.5GB with 100% used.

I am thinking I might try converting it with 5.0 fin.exe and see if I can atleast get them back in the game.
    -MP
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    are you connecting the server or directly to the db?
    You should be restoring it to a local db. and then connect the server to it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    Connecting direct to the db. It seems as though I expand the database size and until I close and re-open the DB the increased size remains unused. After the re-open and the Recovery of the free blocks list is when the space is used (even the the recovery of the free blocks fails).

I am now grabbing an older non-NAV (server) backup to see if the issue is present prior to the symptoms.

I am also defragging the disk that the database is sitting on (doubtful, but figured why not at this point).

I am fairly stumped.

](*,)

As a side note: I do not have a NAV backup,they only have server backups, incremental m-f and full on Sunday
    -MP
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    MP_NAV wrote:
    this is a Native DB not SQL...
    Then what are you talking about incremental backup? There is no such thing as incremental backup in C/SIDE database server.

If you're using some external backup software package maybe that's your problem, and it keeps some sort of hold of the database file to mark the point where it left off, and that messed up the file for NAV. If at all possible take an NAV backup from the source database, and recreate a new one from there.

One suggestion is to get in touch with your partner and see if your tech support can get in touch with MS. They might have seen this before and have an idea how to fix it.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    MP_NAV wrote:
    We have a client who started an incremental backup routine last night. At 2PM today he had it scheduled to backup. At 215PM the users notified that they were receiving a DB Full message. We expanded the DB by 5gigs (it was at 22GB). Within 5 minutes the DB was 100% used again. Expanded another 5gigs (even though at this point I know we have a problem). Again within 5 mins the DB is full.

Restored the 2PM backup. Database is full. I am currently running a NAV Backup and plan to create a new DB and restore into it.

I am not confident that this will help.

Do any of you have any ideas? I will most likely be here into the wee hours of tonight, so please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks,
    MP

This is a known bug in many versions of NAV, and I have posted many times about this. You will need to find some of my old posts here and on http://dynamicsuser.net , but for sure it happens on versions of 2.00, 2.50, 3.60 and 3.70. I have heard reports of it happening on 4.00, but I have not seen that my self.

Basically this happens when multiple tasks are happening at once, and one task EXACTLY fills the database with its version, and then another task tries to use that space (or something like that).

The error is critical, and the way to fix it is to do an exe upgrade to the 3.70B executables. YOU MUST do this asap, or the database will just grow out of control.
    David Singleton
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    David Singleton