Changing Global Dimensions

Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
Hi,

My customer is considering changing the 2 global dimensions. I've a feeling this is quite a huge thing to do. Can anybody tell me in simple terms exactly what the effect is of running the batch job on for example customer default dimensions, ledger entry dimensions etc.

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The job go through all tables where Global Dimension 1/2 Shortcuts exists and need to remove/change the values to correct new GD values. Than the Dimension Values entries are changed to have correct GD no.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    edited 2008-03-27
    In GL Setup, under function, there is an option to change global dimension. This will take a while. The process modifies all the tables that have Global dim as a field.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
    Thanks for the reply.

So am I right in saying for each customer transaction the batch job will re-lookup the default dimension values from the customer card for the new global dimensions and apply them to the ledger entries?

Jonathan
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    No, there will be no change in dimensions for cards and entries. Because main table for dimensions are saved in related tables like Ledger Entry Dimension, Default Dimension etc. The job just read the correct dimension value and save it into the SHortcuts on the card (item table, customer table etc.). It means that no dimensions per entry will be changed, just values in the entry itselfs will be changed to show you the correct dimension.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks for the reply.

So am I right in saying for each customer transaction the batch job will re-lookup the default dimension values from the customer card for the new global dimensions and apply them to the ledger entries?

Jonathan

If you want to update historical dimension based on new default dim from customer, you'll need to write some through report to change the data.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• raven44raven44 Member Posts: 85
    question relating around this concept:
    Eg.
    Scenario revolves around dim vals on Items, say for instance we have 2 Items that had the same dim val - later on down the line we need to split this dims up across multiple dim vals (ie. old dim becomes obsolete). most of the tables can be updated by looking at the default dims from the item card BUT how would the G/L Entry be updated. Generally the 'total' G/L Entry would be created based on the total of the dimension for the lines

Item A - PCPART - 10
    Item B - PCPART - 20

[
    GL Entry - PCPART - 30
    Contra - - -30
    ]

requires a change to

Item A - KEYBOARD
    Item B - MOUSE

[
    GL Entry - KEYBOARD - 10
    GL Entry - MOUSE - 20
    Contra - - -30
    ]

Recommendations on this?
    You need to reverse the original entry and post new entries.

Things will get even harder when you look at COGS account.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• raven44raven44 Member Posts: 85
    Thanks ara3n, that was my initial thought - to reverse.
    But there are alot of posted entries and I guess reversing all of them wouldnt be a feesable solution for them, hence why we looking into a development fix.
    Any ideas ontop of this?
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Dimensions have no financial implications & the fix is rather simple.
    I recommend doing in a test environment to see the effect 1st.
    For historical dimensions off hand I can only remember tables posted document dimension, ledger entry dimension...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    If he wants to split one dimension into two, he will certainly make new gl entries, and many companies run financial reporting based on dimensions.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini