<Name> cannot close because the system is currently wo

pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
NAV5 (build 24199) - Native DB

We have a customer that frequently are unable to leave the window they are in because "<window name> cannot close because the system is currently working".

It happens different places but we are unable to re-produce the problem. I have been through the descriptions of the released updates for NAV5 but didn't find anything related to this issue... (Update 0.1 to 1.3)

Any idea what to do or look for?
Regards
Peter

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Start looking how many forms the user has open. In general it is because he has so many forms open in MODAL-way that he forgets what he has open and tries to close a form that is blocked because another form was opened in MODAL way.
    The best way to close is using CTRL+TAB and try to close the form with key <ESC>. If it doesn't work, retry with CTRL+TAB, and so on.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    That was also my guess, and also how I usually fix it. The user had about 12 windows open, so that's no that much.

But don't we agree that it shouldn't be possible to get into this situation?
    Regards
    Peter
    pdj wrote:
    That was also my guess, and also how I usually fix it. The user had about 12 windows open, so that's no that much.

12 windows open is not so little. I try to keep users to open less windows.

Depends on the user. If the user knows what he is doing, no problem. Otherwise... But I don't know how to block it from opening so many windows.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    pdj wrote:
    Can you tell me what you think is wrong with a system that checks to see if there are any unfinished processes when the application is closed? To me that is a perfectly legitimate thing to do, to protect the user from making the mistake of closing the app while still processing a transaction. I know it has saved my work on more than one occasion.
    kriki wrote:
    12 windows open is not so little.
    I think the NAV4 menupane has caused users to have a lot more windows open the they used to with earlier versions. I often discover users having more than 80 windows open without problems. (But yes - they shouldn't)
    DenSter wrote:
    Can you tell me what you think is wrong with a system that checks to see if there are any unfinished processes when the application is closed?
    I don't think that this is the case. There is no db transaction in process. (At least I don't think so and nobody complained about any locked table while it happens). I still think it is a bug in the run-time. Or can you produce some "bad" code or "bad" work procedure that reproduce this problem?

I can easily make some code that locks a few tables and then show a confirm that keeps the locks. But then I'm unable to navigate away from the confirm box.
    Regards
    Peter
    I couldn't tell you what caused it in your case, but when I've seen that message there was always something going on that prevented it from closing. Sometimes it was something like an object I hadn't saved, sometimes it was a lookup list form, things like that.
    pdj wrote:
    Or can you produce some "bad" code or "bad" work procedure that reproduce this problem?
    1)Open form A.
    2)Do a Lookup in form B (this is a RUNMODAL!). Do NOT close
    3)Launch form C from the menu
    4)use CTRL-TAB and it is possible you get form A (blocked by B). Try to close it => you get the error.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

kriki wrote:
    4)use CTRL-TAB and it is possible you get form A (blocked by B). Try to close it => you get the error.
    Sounds great, but I'm still unable to re-produce. :oops:

I have tried this in NAV5 (both native and SQL) and NAV3.7:
    1) I open the Customer Card.
    2) I do a look-up in the Salesperson Code and keep the Salesperson list open.
    3) I open the Contact Card.
    4) I try to switch to the Customer Card using CTRL-TAB but it only switches to the Salesperson List?

(Even if I succeed I will consider it a bug in fin.exe if I could get the focus back to the Customer Card in this situation.)

What am I doing wrong?
    Regards
    Peter
    That's by design, it is the way it is supposed to work. You can call that a bug all day long, but you won't get anyone to change it. You can't set the focus on the customer card because forms opened in lookup mode are opened modally.

Try this:
    - open the customer card
    - lookup the sales person
    - try to close NAV
    That should get you the error message.
    DenSter wrote:
    Try this:
    - open the customer card
    - lookup the sales person
    - try to close NAV
    That should get you the error message.
    No, that gives a completely different error message.
    DenSter wrote:
    That's by design, it is the way it is supposed to work.
    Yes, in your scenario. But my scenario is something different, and of course I'm not arguing that it shouldn't prevent the user from closing NAV when doing like you describe. However; this is not the case in my scenario. It should not be possible to move the focus to a window that has a modal "child" form or report. And I'm not able to do it either, but my user (and apparently Kriki) are able to do it.
    I will still claim this is a bug, but I wont report it until I'm able to reproduce it...
    Regards
    Peter
    Oh ok you're talking about a different message then I thought you were, sorry about that. Good luck with the error, I hope you find a solution
    pdj wrote:
    kriki wrote:
    Sounds great, but I'm still unable to re-produce. :oops:

I have tried this in NAV5 (both native and SQL) and NAV3.7:
    1) I open the Customer Card.
    2) I do a look-up in the Salesperson Code and keep the Salesperson list open.
    3) I open the Contact Card.
    4) I try to switch to the Customer Card using CTRL-TAB but it only switches to the Salesperson List?

(Even if I succeed I will consider it a bug in fin.exe if I could get the focus back to the Customer Card in this situation.)

What am I doing wrong?
    4) try to swithch using the Window-menu and select the customer card.

BTW: I never had the problem myself or recreated it. But I have some very "clever" users that are able to have this problem.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

kriki wrote:
    4) try to swithch using the Window-menu and select the customer card.
    I have tried almost all sort of things without luck.
    kriki wrote:
    BTW: I never had the problem myself or recreated it. But I have some very "clever" users that are able to have this problem.
    Me too ](*,) Well, I wont bother MS with it unless I'm able to reproduce it. I'll leave it for now I tell my users to keep better track of their windows...

Thanks for your help.
    Regards
    Peter