Restric User from Opening other Databases

najjanajja Member Posts: 67
Hello There,

This implementation has multiple databases and we would like to restrict the users to use only the database they are allocated for. We are providing the shortcut to users to open NAV which will have the database, company and other details supplied as command-line parameter. We do not want the user to use 'File --> Database --> Open' at all though they cannot open any database for which they do not have permission. Is there a way to enable/disable items on the Menu (not the Menu Suite, the usualy Menu which has File, Edit, View etc). I agree that smart users can modify the command line parameters if they know the exact name and details of the database.

Please let me know

Najja

Comments

• hawwahawwa Member Posts: 106
    Hi,

If you don't grant permission for the user to access other databases that they are not supposed to access, they won't be able to open it. They can only use the File-->Database-->Open to change database or comapany that they have permission to access.
  • najjanajja Member Posts: 67
    Hello Hawwa,

I totally agree here too when you said that. Infact I'd mentioned that in my query, atleast I'd thought of mentioning that. But my logic is not show the users any options which they cannot use, which will definitely make some of the curious users to dig into that. I was just wondering whether there is any workarounds

Najja
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    It's been my experience that users don't go searching for what the program can do. They learn how to do their job and stick to the script. You'll always have a curious user or two, but when they see they don't have permission to go somewhere they'll stop trying to go there.

As far as I know the only way to limit the options in the File menu are through the System permissions for your roles, and there is not one for File --> Database --> Open. Probably because the same routine runs when you open your first database (the one the icon defaults to) and if you didn't have this permission you couldn't even do that.