Planning in manufacturing

milindmilind Member Posts: 130
How to add same process on 2 different machines in same routing
in serial type environment.So that the production lead time can be reduced.

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    You have send ahead quantities or setting parallel routing, depends what you really want really.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • milindmilind Member Posts: 130
    Thanks for the reply
    I am explaning the scenario in detail.

Item a is manufactured with process 1.Process 1 can be carried out on 2 diffrent m/c's.(mc1,mc2)so I want the navision should genrate the plan as per the capacity available on mc1 and mc2 so that production lead time can be reduced.

send ahead functionality will not be applicable here,since I have one process carried out on 2 diffrenct machines.
    Navision does not handle dynamic routing. Essentially, as I understand you, you want the system to plan a routing based upon the available capcaity of two machines within a work centre. Therefore if you have a job taking 10 hours you want 5 hours on one machine and 5 on another. If the first machine is busy for two hours you want the work to start on machine 2, run for 6 hours, with the other 4 hours being planned on machine 2 once the current job finishes. You have issues with setup time in this instance unless the machines are generic, but then why bother separating them, just define the capacity within the work centre as 2, but then the planning utilises both machines all teh time, it depends if this is applicable or not.
  • milindmilind Member Posts: 130
    Thanks AdamRoue,
    you correctly understood my problem.Both the machines are generic and having same capacity and performing the same operations.Both the machines are of CNC type.I can not defined them as work center since client requires utilization of both the machines indivisually.
    Do you have any other solution?
  • cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    If the machine centers have the sam capacity and performs the same operations why do you have two machine centers? It would be a better solution to have one machine center and on the scheduling tab add 2 as capacity. Then on the routing you could use the field concurrent capacities = 2.

NAV Freelance Consultant

I tried setting the work centre as a capacity constrained resource and defining an alternate work centre, but the planning engine only goes there if the work centre is unavailable, if it can reschedule either way it will do, and this is not what you want, you need the system to dynamically pick the work centre/machine centre, so you will need to modify the routings and the scheduling to achieve this.
  • dmitripdmitrip Member Posts: 44
    You need to use a concurrent capacities field on the routing line.
    If you use a machine center you can set up this field on the MC card and it will be copied to the routing line.

In order to increase a work center capacity you need to set a capacity field on the work center. Basically it says how many machines or persons are working at the same time.
    Concurrent will only work if the machines are considered the same and openly planned, this is not the case here, they are independent, but at times they want both to be considered dynamically. Concurrent would not work in this instance due to the requirements of the customer for each machine.