Inventory value after upgrade 2.01 to 5.0

FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
Hi

Inventory calculations is a common subject here so maybe this topic is already answered, but I couldn't find it.

I'm doing a huge upgrade from NF 2.01 to NAV 5.0. The customer have had a lot of problems with inventory value calculations, a common problem in the early versions av Navision, so their former partner have recommended them to upgrade their system WITHOUT bringing the item ledger entries in the upgrade, and then respecify the values through an inventory journal.
Is that the right way to do it? How is that accomplished in the best way? Is it easy just to comment out some lines in the upgrade scripts to avoid bringing the item ledger entries?
Or is the corrupted inventory values easily corrected in NAV 5.0 without doing any special treatment in the upgrade? :-k

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Fommo wrote:
    Hi

Inventory calculations is a common subject here so maybe this topic is already answered, but I couldn't find it.

I'm doing a huge upgrade from NF 2.01 to NAV 5.0. The customer have had a lot of problems with inventory value calculations, a common problem in the early versions av Navision, so their former partner have recommended them to upgrade their system WITHOUT bringing the item ledger entries in the upgrade, and then respecify the values through an inventory journal.
    Is that the right way to do it? How is that accomplished in the best way? Is it easy just to comment out some lines in the upgrade scripts to avoid bringing the item ledger entries?
    Or is the corrupted inventory values easily corrected in NAV 5.0 without doing any special treatment in the upgrade? :-k

<disclaimer>
    Firstly understand that its absolutely impossible to get the correct answer to this question without a great deal of information about the client and the "issues" with the data. So please make sure to consider everything before making a decision. every implementation is different, and has a different solution. So there is no YES/NO answers to
    Fommo wrote:
    </disclaimer>

The first thing you need to consider is the value of the historical information. If the company needs this data, then you will need either to do a full conversion, or allow some way for them to access it. One solution I have used (one of many) is to renumber table 32 to (say) 60032, and then just use the data from there. Another option is to use table 32 to generate a huge journal and repost all the entries. Another option is to run the Item ledger compress routine ON A SEPERATE DATABASE, and import the compresses entries to t anew table or post them as a one off journal.

In terms of deleting code to skip the Item Ledger Entries, you dont need to do that, because if you decide not to convert the ILE data, you will anyway some how have to delete all those entries, so they will be skipped by default.

Anyway the most important issue here is for you to be aware that there is no ONE solution, you must evaluate all the factors.
    David Singleton
  • cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    Hi!

The best way to find out how much problems there is with inventory valuation is to make negative adjustments so that all items have inventory = 0. Invoice all receipts run the adjust cost jobs. Then print the inventory valuation report. Items that still have cost in the inventory list is a problem. From the amount of "problem items" you should make your decision to upgrade or not.
    Hi

I don't believe you can upgrade without bringing over the items ledger entries. I think what they meant is do an full upgrade, then delete the item ledger, VE, etc. Then put the items back in. There are some adjustments you must do on the G/L side as well.

To answer your question, yes, it is possible but it's not a method supported by MSFT.
  • FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
    Thank you all for your sugfgestions. I will take this in a discussion with the customer and see how much problem they really have around this.

Regards
    /Simon