Assigning Lot Numbers

ricky76ricky76 Member Posts: 204
I have an item set up with lot nos set against it. The number series that is assigned is set to not allow manual nos. However if i assign a lot no i am able to override this generated lot with a new manual lot number in the item tracking screen. Should i be allowed to do this?

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, the "Allow manual" setting is not tested when entering Serial no. or Lot No.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ricky76ricky76 Member Posts: 204
    Thanks for your help. I ran through the code and seen it wasn't getting checked but wondered whether there was a reason for this. I will need to code a check myself. Out of general interest then i assume this is seen as a limitation to the functionality in terms of the check not being done?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Limit functionality will be if the check is enabled. Because you have no exact point where you can say "you can just create new no. from series". Because in the form for tracking you are still entering e.g. numbers which you already created etc. and it means you are using Manual nos. :-)

On documents you have one point, where you are testing the nos. - creating new entry. You have no same point in process for item tracking. May be for Lot no. information table or Serial no. information table. But you do not need to use them.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Revolution1210Revolution1210 Member Posts: 161
    ricky76 wrote:
    Out of general interest then i assume this is seen as a limitation to the functionality in terms of the check not being done?

In a way, but be carful what you change, because manual entry of lot numbers is needed when tracking things like returns and credit memos etc.

If you add the check, it needs to be document type specific.
    Ian

www.NextEqualZero.com
    A technical eye on Dynamics NAV