Navision not accepting special characters like & < an

blumenhauseblumenhause Member Posts: 3
Hi,

I'm in a project where I want to update details from an xml file in to Navision Employee Table using an XML Port. This XML file is generated from a third party application, and in that user can enter any character in the address field. So I try to encode the data and create xml file. Still Navision is not decoding data properly. < is changed to < and greater than is changed to > XML file will not handle &, so I dont know what to do.

What should I do to change this behavior of Navision?

Regards,
Blumen
Regards,
Blumen

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The characters must be encoded - because theyhave special meaning in XML and thus cannot be used directly. But I assume that importing this XML will lead to correctly decoded characters.

I do not understand what you wrote: you mean that in the file from 3rd party app the data are encoded but NAV is not decoding them back during import? Is it true? If yes, you will need to add some decode function which will replace the strings with the corresponding character.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • blumenhauseblumenhause Member Posts: 3
    kine wrote:
    I do not understand what you wrote: you mean that in the file from 3rd party app the data are encoded but NAV is not decoding them back during import? Is it true? If yes, you will need to add some decode function which will replace the strings with the corresponding character.

I have a web application which is used to create new Employee, there user enters Employee details, name, age, sex, address etc. That is saved in to a database. I take this data and write an XML file. Navision reads this XML file and updates is EMployee table 5200.

But if Address field contains special characters <, > and & it is not decoding them properly. I'm encoding them and writing XML file.
    Regards,
    Blumen