NAV 5/SQL and communication over internet to dbase

hvdhoevenhvdhoeven Member Posts: 99
How about the performance of NAV 5.0/SQL if I install the Client at location 1 and the server at another location and use internet to access the SQL Serverdatabase?

Is that performance generaly speaking OK, or is the quantity of data that is sent by the (fat!) client too much for a regular internetconnection?

Thanks,
Hans

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The minimal bandwidth for NAV client is 10Mbps - 100Mbps is much better. If you need remote connection, use the Terminal Services (RDP or Citrix). Do not forget, that all data processing are done on the client, not on the server - it means all data read/write must be transfered through the network to the client.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Navision client needs a network of 100 Mbit/s to work properly. If you want to use remote connection over internet use Citrix or Terminal Services.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    kine wrote:
    The minimal bandwidth for NAV client is 10Mbps - 100Mbps is much better. If you need remote connection, use the Terminal Services (RDP or Citrix). Do not forget, that all data processing are done on the client, not on the server - it means all data read/write must be transfered through the network to the client.

I have been away from mibuso but you are still faster. :mrgreen:
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    hvdhoeven wrote:
    How about the performance of NAV 5.0/SQL if I install the Client at location 1 and the server at another location and use internet to access the SQL Serverdatabase?

Is that performance generaly speaking OK, or is the quantity of data that is sent by the (fat!) client too much for a regular internetconnection?

Thanks,
    Hans
    And the problem is not much how much data the fat client must send to the server but rather how much data the server must send to the fat client.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    for this, it's better to use an Terminal Server like Citrix or Windows terminal Server. When using TS only the keystrokes and the displayed infomration must send to the server / client PC.

But when you use an Navision Client on the PC. All datas must send through the i-net (for example by using a vpn) and this can be very slow. so, the best way for this is: use an TS.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Not only is Terminal Server/Citrix the best way, it is the ONLY way supported by Microsoft.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.