Navision Application Server 101

bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
Hi.

I have found/read the docs on NAS installation on the product CD, and have read posts here about Codeunit 1, but ...

I can't seem to find any docs on what you do in NAS to get it to interract with the codeunit.

Can anyone point me to that little piece of the puzzle I'm missing?

Thank's

Bob

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    This information is all in the manual, but if you've never worked with it it can be confusing :).

NAS is nothing more than a NAV session without a user interface, that runs as a Windows Service. In the NAS manager (which is a regular MMC snap-in) you can set the parameters that it uses to log into the database, such as servername, database name, company name, and startup parameter.

The first parameters are for logging into the system, the Startup Parameter determines what the session does. You program the HASNandler function in codeunit 1 to be able to 'understand' the startup parameter, and from there it can do whatever you want it to do, provided you don't use any object that NAS doesn't work with (dataports, forms).

Now the tricky part, is that you will need to make sure that the user account that is associated with the windows service is a valid NAV user. So you set up "domain\user" as a windows user in NAV and give it the correct permissions to the object that are involved, then you set up the same user in the login tab on the windows server.
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    Hi Daniel.

Thank's - that's the missing piece - and I've found the relevant documentation.

The last part of this exercise is to have NAS execute a given codeunit once per day at a given time. Any pointers on this would be great.

Bob
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    You'd have a single instance codeunit, in that codeunit you'd be running a timer event, checking for that particular time. Check out the Job Queue Dispacher codeunit for an example of how to do that.
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    Right-O. Thank's

Bob
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Checking out the how-to section could be usefull: http://www.mibuso.com/howtoinfo.asp?FileID=15. :wink:
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!