Product Lines for Items...how to?

gadzilla1gadzilla1 Member Posts: 316
Greetings all,

In our organitation we have about a hundred products which are stored as unique records in the Item table. Also in the Item table are a few hundred records which are the components which make up the products.

A system user sees benefit to assigning each product to a product line. A product may be assigned to one or many product lines.

Can this be easily handled in NAV or would I have to create a new table? Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you - gad1

Comments

• Revolution1210Revolution1210 Member Posts: 161
    You can set up Item Categories and/or Product Groups and assign them to your items.

See the Item Category Code and Product Group Code fields on the General tab of the Item card
    Ian

www.NextEqualZero.com
    A technical eye on Dynamics NAV
  • gadzilla1gadzilla1 Member Posts: 316
    Ian,

Thank you for the reply. We are already using the areas you mentioned.

For example: we've set up an item's Item Category Code as WIP, FG, RM...(work in progress, finished good, raw material). The corresponding Product Group Code is set up as liquid, powder, etc.

If the preceding needs to remain intact how may I cover product lines in addition? If I can accomplish this in NAV without customization it would be preferred.

Thanks for any input!

gad1
    Are there any other ways of assigning products to product lines if the Item Category and Product Group Codes are already populated?

Thanks! gad1
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    What about creating another like Product Group or Item Category?
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    Another what? Are you referring to another table? Just wondering. Thanks for the reply.

gad1
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Could be another table, or could be another fields that can be validated in existing Product Group or Item Category table.
    The design is yours.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger