Sorting Chinese Database

PoebblesPoebbles Member Posts: 35
Hello everybody,

we have implemented a W1 5.00 database and have installed the Tectura Localization Pack for Chines Databases.
The Collation Type is SQL Collation and we use the Collation
Caseless 3.4.1 database sort order, case-insensitive, accent-sensitive (49)

Now we have a problem that our customer uses Textfields for Primary Key Fields and needs the difference meanings of small or big letters like e.g. A or a
My question is ...
Is there another Collation we can use with chinese localization pack, but with case sensitive as an option? FYI the setup Tables are inserted with European Letters, the Description Fields will be shown in Chinese...

Thanks for Help

Comments

• cunnycunny Member Posts: 129
    Hi there,

You could just put the database on SQL Server, and change the Primary Key column collation to whatever you want within SSMS instead of the entire database, hence, you don't need to deal with the collation of the whole Chinese database.

But the collation which you will choose for that column should be readable when your computer language code page setup is at least English UK or English US, which means when the user use English UK and English US they should be able to read the European letters and the Chinese character as well. When I was working in China, English UK or English US code page settings could read collation "Caseless 3.4.1 database sort order, case-insensitive, accent-sensitive (49)".

Wish this helps,

Regards
    cunny Lee
    MCP - MBS Navision
    jle@naviworld.com
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    A few years ago they were recommending collation 1552 case sensitive. I would change it to case sensitive the existing collation and check that everything shows properly.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    Changing the entire database collation won't help you too much, in SQL Server, collation changes will only affact new tables, the old ones will not be changed to new collation, column level collation modifications still will be needed at the end.

If this database will be used in China finally, I would not change the entire db collation to get involved in potential issues, anyway, if that is the only option, try collation "Western-European dictionary sort order, code page 1252, case-sensitive, accent-sensitive (51)"

Regards,
    cunny Lee
    MCP - MBS Navision
    jle@naviworld.com
    cunny wrote:
    Changing the entire database collation won't help you too much, in SQL Server, collation changes will only affact new tables, the old ones will not be changed to new collation, column level collation modifications still will be needed at the end.

If this database will be used in China finally, I would not change the entire db collation to get involved in potential issues, anyway, if that is the only option, try collation "Western-European dictionary sort order, code page 1252, case-sensitive, accent-sensitive (51)"

Regards,

If you change the collation in Navision, Navision will go through all existing tables and change collation.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

ara3n wrote:
    cunny wrote:

Regards,

If you change the collation in Navision, Navision will go through all existing tables and change collation.

You are right, hehe, I used to change the collation in SSMS, it worked in the way I mentioned. thank god Navision can go through all the tables and change it one by one :)

But personally I still think it's a little risky to do it like that especially when the final work environment is uncertain. Anyway, it's an option.

good luck :wink:
    cunny Lee
    MCP - MBS Navision
    jle@naviworld.com
    cunny wrote:
    You are right, hehe, I used to change the collation in SSMS, it worked in the way I mentioned. thank god Navision can go through all the tables and change it one by one :)

But personally I still think it's a little risky to do it like that especially when the final work environment is uncertain. Anyway, it's an option.

good luck :wink:

I've done it and it's no big deal.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini