Install two instances of NAV client

bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
Hi,

I've searched to see if this has come up before, but didn't see any hits.

I go nuts switching between (client) databases and want to have > 1 open at a time. Of course, you can't.

So I try bootng a 2nd instance of the NAV client and it starts, but won't open a db. (Error: This function cannot be executed while the database is being used by other users.) (Great error: What function? What is 'the database'?, ... !@#$%^!!!).

So I try to install a 2nd NAV client and the installation only allows me to Change, Repair, or Remove the existing client installation. ](*,)

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thank's in advance.

Bob

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    1. Install the first client using the setup program.

2. Copy the program folder to a second location

3. Create a shortcut that points to fin.exe (or finsql.exe)
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • mgmmgm Member Posts: 126
    And if you want to use several databases, clients and versions at the same time, the you can use something like CodeGenius to organize the clients and databases (see download section)
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    I'm surprised it's that easy - but it's kinda in line with the multiple NAS installation method.

Thank's

Bob
  • infonoteinfonote Member Posts: 233
    You have to install the other client in a different location (install previous version first e.g. 4) and then new version (e.g. 5).

when installing new client, there is an option to install without deleting previous version.

Remember to install in a different folder.
  • IceCreamIceCream Member Posts: 1
    help needed

I wanted to install multiple versions of NAV Client, but everytime i install the 2nd one, the previous one is kinda overwrite.

There's no option for "preserving" previous version

and the installation folder is already different

what should i do?

====

edit : nevermind..problem solved (-_-)
  • TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    IceCream wrote:
    help needed

I wanted to install multiple versions of NAV Client, but everytime i install the 2nd one, the previous one is kinda overwrite.

There's no option for "preserving" previous version

and the installation folder is already different

what should i do?

====

edit : nevermind..problem solved (-_-)

As previously said. Install ONE client. COPY it. PASTE IT.
    If you need different versions of NAV - when installing select NEW installation and select different folder.