BA Configurator Error

jorgitojorgito Member Posts: 115
Hi all.

I am trying install Bysiness Analytics on Windows 2003 Server with SQL 2005 and NAV 4.03.

I have downloaded the latest release from PartnerSource (BA for NAV 4.03 and 5) and followed the instructions that come with the release.

I copied the Configurator files locally and started the NAV client. I opened the BA Databases, added the path to configurator, updated the xml and started the configurator.

The configurator starts, but during the step "Creating SQL Server Database" I get a runtime error caused by the .NET 2.0 framework.

I open the BA log and the last line reads Create database "BA database for MBS Navision". The same error exists in Event Viewer but no other description is given.

Why do I get this error?

Thank you
Jorgito

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) Check the permissions on the MS SQL server
    2) Use the windows authentication
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • jorgitojorgito Member Posts: 115
    Hi kine.

The error I get has got nothing to do with SQL.

I get a .NET runtime error and the Event Log reads

.NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting

EventType clr20r3, P1 configurator.exe, P2 3.0.0.0, P3 4666b5f2, P4 microsoft.sqlserver.smo, P5 9.0.242.0, P6 45777390, P7 cd, P8 2f, P9 kalv5z2yueq4btx4vbfvfh31njlka0uu, P10 NIL.

Where do I set the Windows authentication. I haven't isntalled BA Advanced yet. I'm still trying to run the configurator.

Thanks
    1) Configurator is running under the account and mode you are using in NAV client. If you login into NAV through database login, configurator will use database login. If you login NAV under windows login, configurator will use windows authentication too. And you need to set enough permissions for that account on the local MS SQL server to be able to create database and do all the needed tasks.

2) Check that all prerequisities are installed on your PC (correct .NET etc.)
    3) Try uninstall - reinstall BA configurator, it sometime helps
    4) Be sure, that you are using correct version of configurator (I mean correct version for your version of MS SQL - 2000 or 2005 version has different configurator).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • jorgitojorgito Member Posts: 115
    Hi kine.

I am logging on to the server as a domain administrator. I login into NAV using Windows authentication as an administrator. So, eventually, the configurator is run as an administrator.

All the prerequisited are installed. I have .NET 1.1 and 2.0. And there is also the Compact version of .NET installed.

How is the configurator installed and uninstalled? In the previous version (BA W1 4.0), there was an installation package that installed the configurator. In the newer version (BA for NAV 4.03 and 5) which is especially for SQL 2005 (and which is the one I am using), there is no installation package. The installation notes state that only the folder should be copied to the server. Then the path is set inside NAV. I even tried installing the old package and then copying the files from the new release, in case something was installed during the early installation package, but it didn't work.

I tried debugging the error and the message is "Create failed for database BA database for MBS Navision", which implies that there is a permissions problem. But I am doing everything as an administrator. The administrator is also set as a sysadmin in SQL and also as a SUPER user in NAV. He has ALL the permissions.

Is there any other account that I should set? For example, an NT SYSTEM user?

I'm totally lost here. Any help really appreciated.

Thank you
    Jorgito
    Ok, I must say first, that I didn't use the BA configurator last year, it means I have no practial experiences (it is why I still thought that there is install procedure for the configurator... :whistle: ).

If there is problem with Create -
    1) check, if exists DB with name "BA database for MBS Navision".
    2) Check, that SQL can create DB in default path for new DBs

Can you describe you topology? Is all on one PC?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.