What will be the future of navision

sadynamicssadynamics Member Posts: 42
Hi,

I have doubt on navision career... I heard from someone that navision is will not say in future,instead it is going to be replaced by AXAPTA. is it true ? then what will happen for the navision developers.... what could be the future for them ?....
approx how many years it will stay..... Please clarify...
Luv,
Dynamics Lover

Comments

• idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Tsk tsk tsk
    Sensitive topic...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    In my honest opinion: they couldn't be more wrong.
    Once, there was "Project green", which stated that the Dynamics products would merge together. But that is dead .. that will not be the case any more ... .

Furthermore, from the things I see and hear, NAV will be here for a while :wink:. Many people are working on it, making the look and feel much better, integrating it with other products, enhancing it, make performance better, working on architecture, ... .

Then, many partners and customers are investing big time in the product: creating add ons, verticalisations, horizontalisations, ... .

NAV is a good choice \:D/ .

Note: this is just my opinion ...

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • sadynamicssadynamics Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the reply..

but you told it will stay for a while how long waldo ??... ](*,) . or all nav developers should change accordingly to MS decision in AX ... ?
    Luv,
    Dynamics Lover
    Well, there is no ending date, man. Nobody can see in the future (I think :-s).
    There is no such thing as "choice for AX". AX is a seperate product, with a different market, with a seperate focus.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • jonsan21jonsan21 Member Posts: 118
    I think in this case, the keyword is product positioning. As long as there's a market share and a strong positioning, I don't think any of the dynamics product will be 'gone'. Again, that's my 2 cents.

But if you ask any of those gurus in this forum, I bet they'll tell you that they have no doubt on their navision career, yes? :wink: Well, for me, so far it still pays my monthly bill. :lol:

Rgds,

Jon.
    Rgds,

Jon.
    jonsan21 wrote:
    ..., I bet they'll tell you that they have no doubt on their navision career, yes?
    Uhm ... correct :mrgreen:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    Axapta is prefered over Navision for complex manufacturing. Navision's own manufacturing module is not as as developed as Axapta.

However for general accounting i find Navision to be more convinient so it will stay here for a long time :)

As to the date if i recall right Microsoft announced some time ago it will continue to provide support for Navision at least until 2013.
    The amount of clients working with Navision is so great and the cost to migrate to any alternatives so high that i think Microsoft will continue to support much much longer :)
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    sadynamics wrote:
    I heard from someone that navision is will not say in future,instead it is going to be replaced by AXAPTA. is it true ?
    Could not be further from the truth, from what Microsoft is saying and doing. They are investing heavily in a new UI, in new technology, to integrate it with other Microsoft products. They are adding people to their team all the time, as well as adding related technologies to the team. All Dynamics products are sharing technologies, but none of them are going away anytime soon, and NAV will definately NOT be replaced by AX.

The next version is due out H2 of this year and will be supported I believe for 8 or 10 years, and they are already defining the scope for the versions (yes that is plural) after that, which will also be supported for that long. Of course I don't know what the future brings (the version we're getting this year was supposed to have been released in 2005 at first).

I would say it is very safe to start a career in NAV. If you are worried about putting too much effort into proprietary technology, there are enough related industry standard technologies surrounding the product now, so it should not be too difficult to find a niche to work in.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    sadynamics wrote:
    I have doubt on navision career... I heard from someone that navision is will not say in future,instead it is going to be replaced by AXAPTA. is it true ? then what will happen for the navision developers.... what could be the future for them ?....

1. Who exactly did you hear this from? Is it from Steve Ballmer (CEO of MSFT) himself?
    2. Are you only going to count on NAV (or AX) to fund your retirement?
    3. How long do you plan to live?

One thing about selecting a product to focus in. We are in the technology industry. One thing certain in technology is change. We are required to learn new things and stay current. If you decide to stick with NAV but do not update yourself by constant learning, you'll be obsolete irregardless of when NAV becomes the product of choice.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Waldo wrote:
    Nobody can see in the future (I think :-s

I know one for sure :lol::lol::lol:
    (sorry Feb is a very slow sports month)
    DenSter wrote:
    Savatage wrote:
    **Translation - "It's not worth the aggravation, just use XP it works fine"
    Perhaps Denster will be less aggravated after the G-MEN lay the smackdown on Brady's candyass! :mrgreen:
    I'll think of you fighting your tears through the chipdip Sunday evening around 10 when Brady accepts another Superbowl MVP and Eli 'Prima Donna' Manning is dragged off the field screaming "its not fair! its not fair" after trying to steal the Lombardi Trophy :mrgreen:

back on topic My bad :oops:

I might not know all the plans for Nav in the future but This program was a godsend to us. Does everything we wanted to & more easily changeable. So even if MS stop the Dynamics-Nav wheels, that many mnay companies will still be using it and will need support still for many years to come. This wasn't a $300 quickbooks Deluxe company investment. [-(
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    sadynamics wrote:
    Hi,

I can see the same logic being used by the marketing people at Volkswagen.

"Hey I see that we make a lot more money selling one Touareg than we make selling one Golf. Hmm so lets just kill off the Golf, and from now on we will only sell the Touareg. Not only that, but the Touareg is faster and bigger."

Obviously its not so important how much you make in profit per unit sale, its total profit over a year of selling that matter. Go to convergence or any of the Dynamics events, and you will hear all the great stuff about the other products, but listen to the thing they repeat over and over. "NAV is what makes money" and believe me Microsoft know a thing or two about money, and Microsoft are not going to kill the golden goose.
    David Singleton
    But M$ want bigger golden eggs...
    The current goose can only produce eggs that are so big only :lol:
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

idiot wrote:

Not true. [-X
    Do some research into NAV 6.0 aka NAV 2009, and you'll see the the current goose will be able to produce bigger eggs \:D/ .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Waldo wrote:
    idiot wrote:

Not true. [-X
    Do some research into NAV 6.0 aka NAV 2009, and you'll see the the current goose will be able to produce bigger eggs \:D/ .
    But the frequency of production will slow down... 8)
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

The frequency of production ... ? :-s

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    idiot wrote:
    But the frequency of production will slow down... 8)

Statements like this are proven wrong time and time again...
    If only I understood what he meant :-s

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    I think he means that new features will slow down once NAV gets too big.

At least I think that's what he meant. :roll:
    It means nothing :D

Nav is making $ at this pace. If more functions are added, costs increase.
    But Nav is still cheaper than AX. If Nav can compete with AX why would someone still choose AX?
    Why would M$ want the client to get Nav if it knows it can push AX?
    Think I'm not making sense anymore...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    NAV is making more money for MS than AX, why would they want to push AX if they're making more money with NAV? You are right, you are not making sense :mrgreen:
    It's just marketing. AX is placed to compete with SAP and Oracle. If SAP ads are everywhere, AX ads needs to be everywhere too.

This is why some may think that MSFT is promoting AX and that AX is the future.
  • klinspatrickklinspatrick Member Posts: 58
    I think in a company's perspective, it is HARD to change an ERP system in 5 years or 10 years, Time and $$ are the main points.

From my company now, we are changing from NAV 4.0 to AX 4.0 in September start to launch to use. (High Priority for the company) The reasons we want to change is we want to have a same platform and system, Quick Finance Transparency and data as others big regions are using other not famous ERP system. It draws me the point is company will never change unless there is a big reason. I predict all the expense for this change will be about USD 1M. (Not big money for any company doing SAP or Oracle.)

From vendor’s perspective, it is not always be the same direction from them, may be some NEW Directors or CEO are telling that I want to cut any product lines and invest to others even though it is making money for them, they might feel it is not too high profits etc.. May be we invest or diversity those resources or money to other product lines...and asking vendors and customers(company) to change and give good discounts and to be Customer Sources partner...

Anything is not grantee.

Be happy and don't worry too much.

I think the golden rules for any career is be customer focus and delivery best solution to your customers and stakeholders.

All above is my opinions.

Patrick
  • hawwahawwa Member Posts: 106
    Good future in Navision career. :lol: Never worry before \:D/
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    hawwa wrote:

I've never seen this as a "Navision career". Just has I did not see it as a "Solomon career" or a "Novell career" in my earlier days. I see it as a "Systems integration with a focus on financial systems career".

If Navision is not around there will be something else on which to continue the career path.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    bbrown wrote:
    I've never seen this as a "Navision career". Just has I did not see it as a "Solomon career" or a "Novell career" in my earlier days. I see it as a "Systems integration with a focus on financial systems career".

If Navision is not around there will be something else on which to continue the career path.

This has got to be the post of the century. =D>
    bbrown wrote:
    hawwa wrote:

Well said =D>
    That's why there are Navision consultants, & there are ERP consultants
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus