There is not enough memory to execute this function

rotoflexrotoflex Member Posts: 14
Hi,

We're running NAV 5.0 on SQL Server 2005. Today we got this error saying

"there is not enough memory to execute this function. If you work in single-user installation, you can try reducing the value of the 'cache' program property. You can find information about how to optimize the operating system in the documentation for your operating system."

This happens on several clients when they try to create sales or purchase order. Does anyone have any clues what might be causing this? The machine SQL Server is on has 2 gigs of memory and it doesn't seem that it is running out of it.

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Could you show us the code that is executed? I have seen this message when i get an infinite loop.
  • rotoflexrotoflex Member Posts: 14
    kapamarou wrote:
    Could you show us the code that is executed? I have seen this message when i get an infinite loop.

Sorry, I'm only administering that SQL Server, I can't really say what code is being executed. I also found some pages which say that error usually occurs when program is in infinite loop.
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    I could be a endless recursive call of a function. Maybe it's a BOM which contains a itselfe as a material.
    Thomas
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Usually a recursive call throws a stack overflow, no?

Were there customizations done on that specific functionality?

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    rotoflex wrote:
    kapamarou wrote:

Sorry, I'm only administering that SQL Server, I can't really say what code is being executed. I also found some pages which say that error usually occurs when program is in infinite loop.

To turn on the debugger. Click on tools->debugger->Active.
    Make sure you turn off Break on trigger. tools->debugger->Break on Trigger.

When you run the process the debugger will stop on the first error.
    You'll see the callstack.
    I suggest to contact your solution center to help you solve the issue.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Good tip.
    If it's a recursive problem, the callstack will be filled very clearly with the same Object/functions... .

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    As anyone found a resolution? We have recently upgraded a site to 5.0 SP1 and are randomly experiencing this error. They used the SP1 client (with 4.0 database) for a few months before upgrading the DB. I don't see this as a recursion issue since the same function work sometimes.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.