Copy Data from companies into single company

najlamthnajlamth Member Posts: 18
Dear All,
I have a database in NAVISION that has 3 companies; I want to do the following:
1. Copy the data into a new single company.
2. Add a dimension Called Company and update the data.
3. Some data are repeated through the three companies (ex: Customer No.), the data type of this field is code, if you suggest me to delete the repeated records I cannot do this because this record contains different data from the other and need to be exist in the new company
Please can any one give me a solution or a suggestion to this case??
Thank you all.
Master Navision Developer

Comments

• Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    I had to do this for a customer about a year ago. They had changed the company and wanted to combine the 3 exisiting companies into one.

We went throughthe exercise of exporting all the data and for things like customer and vendors adding in the details of the comapny they came from.

Then we re-imported all the data, allowing the import to assign new customer and vendor numbers but we retained the old account numbers aswell. I think we added a field for it so they could reference if needed.

If you treat teh whole exercise as a new company implementation, extract teh relivant data fromt he old company and then import it, adding a dimension for the old company as you go, you should be ok. It will take a bit of time but its will work.

Ian
    Regards

Ian
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    We do this quite often at a customer of ours. It basically comes down on exporting the data and importing it in the new company into journals. You can add a new dimension then if wanted and post the journal again.

Another tool that might be able to help you:
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=275

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • girish.joshigirish.joshi Member Posts: 407
    That's a pretty tough job and I wonder if even if you do it, you'll get where you want to go.

Dimensions don't balance the way g/l entries do, so if you hope to be able to use analysis by dimensions to see effectively 3 balance sheets, you're mistaken.

Have you considered using Intercompany consolidations? You should be able to combine your different customers into one in the consolidated company.

If you must proceed this way (not recommended) here is a sketch of a plan:

You basically have redo your data migration cutover plan when you implemented. Generate master data for each of your companies, and export it and import.

You'll have to figure out how much of the ledger information you want to keep. Does your company use items? If so, the item ledger information will probably be the most complicated.

One way to do this would be to define number ranges for all of your ledger information. For instance, value entries, item application entries, item ledger entries and g/l entries could be in the 1 million range for data brought from company one, in the 2 million range for company 2 ... and in another range for the consolidated company.

It may be possible to apply a similar strategy to the document no. field.

All in all, this can be pretty risky, and should only be undertaken after extensive analysis of the data in all of the companies.