How to Create Help Files

Matt_KeyesMatt_Keyes Member Posts: 23
Hello,

I'm trying to wrap my head around creating help files that integrate into Navision's help files, but this process is highly unintuitive and the documentation is terrible (not to mention a few conflicts).

I've got the 4.0 Tools CD and I am trying to create help in 5.0 (which is supposed to work from what I understand).

Does anyone have any tips to get this off of the ground? I'm using an evaluation of RoboHelp, and my .chm files work outside of Navision.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You need to use the GATE makro which is part of the MBS Tools CD. You need to keep exact folder structure as described in the documentation, prepare all the files etc... and let GATE create the needed files.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Revolution1210Revolution1210 Member Posts: 161
    Microsoft have also now released a version 5.00 Online Help Toolkit.

PartnerSource download page:
    https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/downloads/releases/nav50onlinehelptoolkit.htm

However, there should be no issues using the version 4 help toolkit to generate help files for a nav 5 environment.

As Kine says, the main thing is to make sure the folder structure is correct and that you run the GATE tool successfully to generate the final NAV compliant help file.
    Ian

www.NextEqualZero.com
    A technical eye on Dynamics NAV