40SP3 Navision client used to open a 370 database on SQL

jag.911@hotmail.comjag.911@hotmail.com Member Posts: 9
Has anyone run into any issues with using a 40SP3 client to open a 370 database.

We are in the process of upgrading our customer from 370 to 40SP3.
One of the users launched the 370 database with a 40SP3 client and answered yes to process the conversion.

Any information that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    Hi!

So you're actually talking about a "Technical Upgrade" - means to just upgrade to a newer C/SIDE version, but still using the old application objects.

I have some customers running this configuration, and it works without any problems! Actually it is quite recommended to run a 4.0 SP3 Update 6 (or 7) client with SQL, so you could benefit from lots of improvemens!
    (But you have to disable the "Index Hinting"!)

The only potential problem here is, that since 4.00 the SHELL command has been changed and you may have to change some calls ...

P.S.: The "conversion" basically just re-writes the SQL-site SIFT Triggers
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    stryk wrote:
    The only potential problem here is, that since 4.00 the SHELL command has been changed and you may have to change some calls ...
    And in this case this might help: http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12417
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• jonsan21jonsan21 Member Posts: 118
    The only problem is, then you have to upgrade ALL client to 4.0 SP3. And imagine if you have more than a handful.

I had this experience before as well, and this combination works fine. You have to watch out if you're upgrading the SQL server though (i.e. from 2000 to 2005) If I recall, 3.70 do not support 2005.

Rgds,

Jon.
    Rgds,

Jon.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    You're right, 3.7 is not supported on SQL Server 2005. However, it is not a problem to convert a 3.7 database to be user by 4.0 SP3 executables and run that on SQL Server 2005. You don't have to do a full upgrade of the database objects to be able to run on SQL Server 2005.