4.1 Client closes unexpectedly

mobiusmobius Member Posts: 10
We are running NAV 4.1 with Native database on a Win2K3 server with XP Pro SP2 workstations. The last couple of months we have been having the client interface close unexpectedly the only error I can find is in Event Viewer. Application Failure fin.exe, 4.0.1.21666, 430b4553, 0, at offset 001a29dc. There seems to be no common task or lack of task involved, the Client just closes when they reopen NAV everything is fine until the next occurance. I have tried uninstalling Navision on the workstation, deleting the folders and reinstalling Navision with no improvement. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Just an Idea O:)

Is it all the machines or just 1?
    have you notice a time interval before each crash?
    Like 2 hours or something?
    Are all the machines setup the same way?
    Are they all using Automatic Updates.
    is a virus program autoscanning - during the day?
    Are they using Power settings turning things on & off after a few minutes.
    How about screensavers?

My thought would be to change each setting one at a time to see if that crash behavior stops. Then I would know which program or setting is causing it. Hopefully is something that simple.
  • mobiusmobius Member Posts: 10
    so far just 4 of the workstations have displayed this behavior. There doesn't seem to be any set time interval between times sometimes a couple of times a day, sometimes once a day, and some days no problems. Autoupdates and AV scans are configured to occur at night. Power saving settings are disabled except for monitors shutting off after 2 hours inactivity. Only 1 of affected machines are using screensavers (photo slide show). PCs are similar some are Pentium D some are Core 2 Dual all are running at least 2GB RAM & 3500mb page file, all have plenty of harddrive space left (over 10GB free minimum)
    Do you have all the service packs?

You say over the past couple of months...Was there an upgrade or something that you can remember happening about that time?
    Code Change, Server Change, etc.
    Using Windows authorization or Nav Logon?

Last question - It happens randomly or when a specific task is being done?
    like order entry, or req worksheet, etc.
    All patches, service paks, and updates installed on all servers & workstations, no major changes to anything except for monthly Patch Tuesday.
    NAV Logins
    Completly random & independent never had 2 crash at same time. Does not matter if running report, data entry, or doing nothing but talking on phone. TS clients so far are not effected. Does not seem to effect any other running process.
  • TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    Possibly NIC's?

Can you check the NIC's? Belarc Advisor is good, you can see if they are different on the machines that work to don't work.

T

PS
    Just throwing an idea out there ;-)
  • MW59MW59 Member Posts: 85
    Hmmm... suggest affixing Rosary beads to one of the problem clients and observe for changes in behavior. Have crucifix on hand in case it's worse than we thought. :|
    I despise animal testing. They get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
  • TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    MW59 wrote:
    Hmmm... suggest affixing Rosary beads to one of the problem clients and observe for changes in behavior. Have crucifix on hand in case it's worse than we thought. :|

Problem is I think you have a better chance of replicating the results with that idea ;-)
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    We are also facing some problem in unexpected close. If we open the item list from Purchase order/Sales Order and press Shft + F5, the system will close and restart. ](*,)
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • maheshmahesh Member Posts: 115
    hi ssingla,
    in ur case, reinstall sql server with all services (correctly with help of server expert). ur problem will be solved. sure...
    Best Regards,
    Mahesh Jain
    mahesh@reliconservices.com
    Thanks to all for the replies. Had considered rabbits feet or chicken foot from a voodoo lady in NOLA but the Rosary Beeds would be cheeper. Also considering sprinkling Holy Water on server CD tray.

The clients don't seem to be losing connectivity (one of the problem PCs is streaming music usually and the stream doesn't miss a beat) all the NICs are on board Intel 10/100/1000, the entire network runs @ 1000mbs.
    Just googleing I see somewhere that
    001a29dc is linked to pci_init

What pci devices do these machines have?
    sometimes if you go to
    Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->Network Adapters
    Click Adapter, Right Click->properties->Power Management

Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

see which pci devices you have. It's worth a shot!
    Well it was worth a shot, but it did not change anything Navision wise. I didn't use to belive in ghosts but I'm thinking I may need an Exorcist. I did get a different crash report which I will include below. As always any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Error Class=Exception

Program=Navision (4.0.1.21666)

Operating System=Windows XP (5.1.2600)

Total Physical memory=2013MB

Used Virtual Memory=84MB

System Locale=1033

User Locale=1033

Global Language=1033

Code Pages=ANSI 1252 OEM 437

Light Version=No

Server Connected=EEI

Database Open=d:\navision databases\production\ervin production.fdb

Windows Authentication=No

Commit Cache=Yes

Database Cache(KB)=8000

Client/Server Version No=26
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Try removing all the external preload programs like antivirus and/or QuickTime and/or Skype.

If all else fails, consider upgrading your executables to at least 4.0 SP3.
    Start->Run->Msconfig.exe
    Startup Tab - Uncheck Stuff!

It seems to always fix my problems by disabling programs that I can start when I want them to.
    I also check my C:\Windows\Temp and delete everything in there.
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have upgraded all clients to SP3 executables and upgraded the server to SP3. I removed all unneccesary startup programs (I did not & will not kill the Anti Virus scans and think that was poor advise for a production environment). I did the hokey pokey & I turned myself about. And the Clients are still closing unexpectedly at random times and random tasks although not as frequently. Any idea what else I can do? Thanks
  • jorgecphjorgecph Member Posts: 26
    Which 4.00 SP3 version are you using? I recommend that you try the latest version which should be versioned 4.0.3.25143 or 4.0.3.25202.

Or at least, try with version 4.0.3.24080.

/Jorge

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Check your program on reports.

I ran into the same problem in a production environment and found that it was caused when the report was exporting to Excel.

But this is assuming that the client exits unexpectedly when they run reports.

If not, you'll need to monitor the installations more closely. Also, check your services and ensure that the services is not stopping and restarting.
    We are running ver. 4.0.3.23305, I cannot find the newer versions, are they European only? The few that are still crashing after the move to SP3 are crashing during report generation usually after repeated runs of the same reports. The reports most noticed are Trial Balance & Aged Accounts Payable. Many thanks to all for their assistance in this.
    mobius wrote:
    And the Clients are still closing unexpectedly at random times and random tasks although not as frequently.
    mobius wrote:
    The few that are still crashing ...are crashing during report generation usually after repeated runs of the same reports. The reports most noticed are Trial Balance & Aged Accounts Payable.

Seems like your narrowing it down. Are these unmodified reports? Did you add logo's or change anything to them?
    We have serveral reports that have been modified but niether of these have been and no logo on these reports.
    For the heck of it can you try Tools->Options
    Change
    Object Cache (KB)
    DBMS Cache (KB)

to 20000 if set to 8000?
    I'm going to say that this issue is fixed. I think I had 2 problems going on. The random closing was repaired through the upgrade to SP3. The other is most likely cache related and occurs when month end reports are ran, and hopefully are repaired through increasing the cache size. Many thanks to all for their suggestions and tips.