What is the use of Adjusment Bin Code?

TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
When we use Direct Put-away and Pick on the Location card, we must define Bins on Bins tab. What is the use of Adjustment Bin Code?

As far as I see, it just makes things worse. Let's say if we post a credit memo to location, which uses Direct Put-away, quantities will be posted to Item Ledger Entry, Warehouse Entry and Adjustment Bin (which is always empty). Therefore we will get difference between Bin Contents and Warehouse Entries quantities.

Adjustment Bin just doesn't make any sense for me. And I cannot find useful information regarding that in Microsoft manuals/partnersource as well. ](*,)

Comments

• DarkSideDarkSide Member Posts: 46
    I've worked with warehousing a lot in Navision and I would agree. Somewhere along the way I guess someone thought having the "In-Between" step of calculating and posting "Warehouse Adjustments" in the item journal was needed. The only thing I could ever come up with was to allow the user to assign dimensions in the item journal before posting it. But that should/could be moved to the warehouse journal (at least in my opinion).

I have written a mod (it was like 3 years ago) to automatically post the item journal when a warehouse journal is posted. It's not too hard really.

If I didn't answer your question, sorry about that. But maybe I made you feel like you're not crazy?
    My mommy says I'm special
  • DarkSideDarkSide Member Posts: 46
    I should add a few useful pieces of information.

In the case of posting a document - shipment, receipt, etc. The item ledger and warehouse entry table stays in balance automatically.

However, the world changes a little when using directed pick/put-away and you make an inventory adjustment. Instead of using the item journal, you use the warehouse journal. The warehouse journal ONLY posts to the warehouse entry table - not the item ledger. So, after you post the warehouse journal and before you post the item journal, you will see a quanity in the "adjustment bin".

Posting an inventory adjustment using directed pick/put-away is a 2 step process (this is the part I hate). After you post teh warehouse journal, you need to go to the item journal. Under the "Functions" menu at the bottom you will find "Calculate Warehouse Adjustment...". This will build an entry for the differences between the item ledger and the warehouse entry table. Then you post this batch. Now the "adjustment bin" will be back to zero.

Why it's done this way I struggle with... I have not found a user yet that likes it. But it's not hard to make the item journal entry automatically post when you post the warehouse entry.

I hope this is a better answer.
    My mommy says I'm special
  • errorhandlererrorhandler Member Posts: 22
    DarkSide wrote:
    Posting an inventory adjustment using directed pick/put-away is a 2 step process (this is the part I hate). After you post teh warehouse journal, you need to go to the item journal. Under the "Functions" menu at the bottom you will find "Calculate Warehouse Adjustment...". This will build an entry for the differences between the item ledger and the warehouse entry table. Then you post this batch. Now the "adjustment bin" will be back to zero..

and if you forget this second part: the inventory adjustement is only perfomed in the warehouse, not in inventory... You'll end up with funky behaviour of shipment lines when posting them, for it appears that the stock you just shipped... does not exist #-o
    I may not be totally perfect, but parts of me are excellent.
  • TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    Posting an inventory adjustment using directed pick/put-away is a 2 step process (this is the part I hate). After you post teh warehouse journal, you need to go to the item journal. Under the "Functions" menu at the bottom you will find "Calculate Warehouse Adjustment...". This will build an entry for the differences between the item ledger and the warehouse entry table. Then you post this batch. Now the "adjustment bin" will be back to zero.

Yep, that's what I found out too. However, this just doesn't make sense in these days for me. Anyway, thanks for you replies, at least it makes me feel better, that I am not the only one who noticed this behaviour.
  • TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    When you post a credit memo with direct put-away, only Item Ledger Entry will be created. Then... if you do Calculate Warehouse Adjusment in Item Journal, you will basically post a negative item ledger entry for previous one. In this way, you will have a credit memo... with 0 goods returned.

How this should make any sense? I would expect Calculate Warehouse Adjustment to post to Warehouse entry (into bin contents) instead of removing quantity from Item Ledger Entry.

The logic of Adjustment Bin with Credit memos beats me. ](*,)