Prblems while upgrading database

pradkpradk Member Posts: 89
I am upgrading a client of mine from Nav 4 to Nav 5.
I created 3 text files for the merge process :
Nav4Base.txt - from the base 4 sp3 database
Nav5Base.txt - from the base 5 database
NavClientDB.txt - Client database

While performing the merging operation i get the following error message

Databae Error:1097

and after clicking OK button i get another which says

The filter 'IF(XBRL version' is invalid. You entered an invalid expression in the filter on the property field in the property table. For information about
entering filters, see the online help

Any suggestions ??? ](*,)

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    I have a suggestion, but you don't gonna like it: stay away from the Developers Toolkit Merge option.

The Developers Toolkit is good for "Where Used" analysis, but not for automatic merging of text-objects.

Use a text compare-tool to compare the objects. There exists some tools which can do part of the merging process as well, but I don't have any experience with these.

My 2cents.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Exactly. The NDT has bugs and sometime the output text file is not valid.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • pradkpradk Member Posts: 89
    Which tool should i use to compare and merge the database ?

And can you please list down steps i should follow for comparing and merging the databases.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    I have a suggestion, but you don't gonna like it: stay away from the Developers Toolkit Merge option.

The Developers Toolkit is good for "Where Used" analysis, but not for automatic merging of text-objects.

Use a text compare-tool to compare the objects. There exists some tools which can do part of the merging process as well, but I don't have any experience with these.

My 2cents.
    Actually I DO use the NDT automatic merging but for later easier confronting the 2 base versions and the customer version at the same time. Most (or all?) other tools I know confront only 2 versions at the time.
    But it is true that you cannot trust the automatic merge of the NDT.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

My question stands then - If NDT cannot give me accurate results then which tool should i use and please guide me as to the process i should follow while using that tool.
    kriki wrote:
    Actually I DO use the NDT automatic merging but for later easier confronting the 2 base versions and the customer version at the same time. Most (or all?) other tools I know confront only 2 versions at the time.

It is why we are using Araxis Merge (or someone Beyond Compare),because they have 3 file compare functionality (2 base, once customer which you are changing into new version with new functionality from compare of the two base versions).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Alrite so now i have downloaded araxis merge. I have compared the 3 files
    Base4.txt
    Modified4.txt
    Base5.txt
    and have got the relevant differences between the files, now the thing which is confusing me is how to merge the 3 files together.
    'Cuz in araxis merge, it uses 2 files and to create a 3rd merged file.
    What should be the right way to proceed.
    Should i merge the Base4.txt with Modified4.txt to create a new merged file and then merge this new file with base5.txt (a 2 step process)?
    Please help me on this 'cuz this is the first time i'm doing compare and merge.

](*,)
    No. I am using this view:

Base Old | Base New | Customized Old

and I am going through changes between Base Old and Base New and I am transfering the new, changed parts from Base New into Customized Old => In this way you are changing the Customized Old to Customized New by modifying it... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks Kine. So this means the merging part will have to be done manually for the entire DB. Please Correct me if i've got it wrong.
    Yes. The NDT can make some automatic merging for you, but still you need to check everything. It is much better to do it yourselfs and control it directly during merging.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.