slow credit memos

sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
Hi

We have a client which all off a sudden started experiencing very slow 'generation of pages' in the credit memos. They are using a customized version of the credit note report.

What happens is that the generation of the pages take about 10 seconds for each item in the credit memo. For example, if you have 5 items in the credit memo, it will take 50 seconds to generate the page for printout....and this is on the server. The workstations take much more.

We have tried all the following:
1. Imported the standard credit memo report
2. Reindexing of keys
3. Different server

...but still have the same results.

The client is using ver.4 SP2 on a Navision database.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• MalajloMalajlo Member Posts: 294
    Sometimes printer drivers are the problem (after several years of normal speed, it slows down; also Office apps are slow). Try changing/deleting printers.
    Do you print pictures? Have you changed anything in code (calcfields, keys etc.)?
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    I am also thinking about the fact that some filter is not ok and that Navision scans the whole table.
    You can find that with the client monitor. If you have statements with a long time, probably you have found the problem.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
    Thanks for your input.

It's definitely not the printer though, since this problem happens only on Credit Memos and we've tried it at our offices (i.e. new server and new printer)

Regarding the filter, as I said in my original post, we have used the standard Navision credit memo and it still comes out with the same problem.

I know...this is a very strange problem, happening only on credit memos.

Any other thoughts are welcome. Thanks
    Like I said, try with the client monitor to see which statement takes a long time to process.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

Hi Kriki

What client monitor are you actually referring to? Is this the SQL Server monitor?

Don't forget this is a Navision Database not a SQL Server one

thanks
  • MalajloMalajlo Member Posts: 294
    Is the problem only with credit memos?
    Server performance can be decreased if backup or hotcopy runs at that time. Or any kind of disc activity.
    sabzam wrote:
    Hi Kriki

What client monitor are you actually referring to? Is this the SQL Server monitor?

Don't forget this is a Navision Database not a SQL Server one

thanks
    I am talking about the Client Monitor in Navision (Tools=>Client Monitor).
    Start it, then run your report, stop the monitor and search for "Parameter" = "Elapsed Time (ms)". Search the ones with high values (compared with others). Check out which command created them and you know wich FIND or NEXT created them. Now you can check in your program to find those and correct the filters on it (at least I presume it is about filters).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

Ok....Navision Client Monitor...

All values for 'Parameter No' for 'Elapsed Time (ms)' are 100.
    The 'Number' column is mainly empty with some values here and there.

There is, however, thousands of rows. These rows represent the reprint of a credit memo with a couple of items. The credit memo took 5 minutes to generate 1 page.

I don't know whether the values in the 'Client Monitor' are normal or not.

Thanks again for your help
    sabzam wrote:
    Ok....Navision Client Monitor...

The 'Number' column is mainly empty with some values here and there.

There is, however, thousands of rows. These rows represent the reprint of a credit memo with a couple of items. The credit memo took 5 minutes to generate 1 page.

I don't know whether the values in the 'Client Monitor' are normal or not.

Thanks again for your help
    Conclusion : there is no FIND or NEXT that takes a long time to go.
    Next things to try:
    1) Or something is wrong with the printerdriver.
    2) Or there is a loop that reads a whole table => this means that you won't find any LONG statements.

1) is easiest to check : create a new printer, attach it to a file on your disk and define it as default printer. Then launch the report with preview (or to that printer). This will take the (new) default printerdriver and this should go fast. If this goes fast, it means something is wrong with your printerdriver.
    2) This is somewhat more difficult. You can use the debugger and check step by step where it loops a lot of times. Some help : Where there is a FIND,FINDSET,FINDFIRST,FINDLAST check the filters on that record to see if the filters are good or if they will loop (almost) the whole table.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    sabzam wrote:
    They are using a customized version of the credit note report.

If none of that works I would revisit the differences between the original Credit Report & the customized one. It should stand out.
  • theo.stheo.s Member Posts: 24
    SabZam Wrote:
    Just to make sure (in all those Client Monitor lines), use a filter to select only Elapsed Time lines, and then another filter in the Value for (say) >100 ms. You might find there are some really long ones hiding in there.
    Thanks for all your help, but, as explained in my previous posts...

1. We have already tried running the process on a different server, and therefore with a different printer driver and this caused the same results. Apart from this, the invoices print fine.

2. This also happens on the standard Navision credit memo, not only on the customized one.

3. Already filtered Elapsed Times....they are all 100.

There doesn't seem to be a valid explanation for this problem.
    I presume you are running Report 207 "Sales - Credit Memo".

Lets try this tack..

How many records are there in the "Sales Cr.Memo Line" table, and what size does that table represent?
    (Hint use File | Database | Information, then use the "Tables" Button)
    theo.s wrote:
    And if it is, has the standard report been localized or is it still W1-version?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

theo.s wrote:

Lets try this tack..

How many records are there in the "Sales Cr.Memo Line" table, and what size does that table represent?
    (Hint use File | Database | Information, then use the "Tables" Button)

Yes, 207.
    Records: 137,275
    Blob: 23,196

Thanks
    Records: 137,275
    Blob: 23,196

I had a quick look on my side. Report 207 execites lightning fast (<1s) generating 22 pages (all the C/Ms I have).

This is just an idea, but might be worth trying, even for temporary relief!

What is the NAV Server Cache size on your installation? Default is either 10,00kb or 20,000kb. Try putting it up to 100,000kb or more, depending on how much RAM is on your server (Ref. Installation and Configuration Guide).

HINT: Run Task Manager on the server, and see how much RAM is being consumed by server.exe and all slave.exe instances. Please post back the reults.
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Encountered the same issue in another report.
    What I did was:
    1. export the report out as text
    2. delete the report
    3. import the previously exported
    4. compile
    & it solved my problem.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger