NAV SP3 with SQL Server 2005 on Vista

akmanakman Member Posts: 67
Hello, I just bought a new laptop with vista home premium preinstalled.
I want to install NAV SP3 with SQL Server 2005 Developers edition. I have the NAV hotfix for Vista, but I don' t know if SQL 2005 can run on Vista without any problems. If someone has already tried it and can tell me that it would be great.

PS The NAV hotfix for vista is for all NAV 4 service packs or for SP3 only?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Take your new laptop back and get one with XP.
    Using Vista as a NAV person is not for the faint of heart, to say the least... So to answer your questions :mrgreen:

As far as I know, only SP3 is supported on Vista. For older versions you will have to work with VPC's.

SQL Server 2005 works on Vista, but only after applying SP2, as well as the Vista update for SP2. When you install SQL Server it will give you a compatibility warning. Just install the program from there, and DO NOT USE IT YET. Then you install the SP on top of it, you'll get some sort of compatibility error again, again just install the program. THEN you install the Vista compatibility patch.

Just a word of warning, if you want to eventually use SSRS, or SSIS, or SSAS, take my advice and get all the prerequisites in order before even starting the SQL Server 2005 installation. I've had to re0install so many times I ended up re-installing everything, and I still can't get it all to work properly.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    **Translation - "It's not worth the aggravation, just use XP it works fine"

Perhaps Denster will be less aggravated after the G-MEN lay the smackdown on Brady's candyass! :mrgreen:
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Brady - Moss - Good weather. Who we kidding? :wink:
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    for vista you need to install SP 2.
    the 32bit Version can run with Vista home premium.
    the 64 bit Developer Edition (IA64) can't run, the Developer Edition (X64) do it. But install SP2 for SQL Server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 43506.aspx
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    Savatage wrote:
    **Translation - "It's not worth the aggravation, just use XP it works fine"

Perhaps Denster will be less aggravated after the G-MEN lay the smackdown on Brady's candyass! :mrgreen:
    I'll think of you fighting your tears through the chipdip Sunday evening around 10 when Brady accepts another Superbowl MVP and Eli 'Prima Donna' Manning is dragged off the field screaming "its not fair! its not fair" after trying to steal the Lombardi Trophy :mrgreen:
  • akmanakman Member Posts: 67
    Thank you all.
    I don't like vista anyway :D
    All I'm saying is "Any Given Sunday"
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Savatage wrote:
    All I'm saying is "Any Given Sunday"

We keep hearing about the "blueprint". Used to watch a lot of Giants games back in the old days when Patriot's Football was an oxymoron. They were always blacked out. It's been nice seeing them put together a real team over the past few years. Makes up for the suffering.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Smackdown completed! :whistle:
    14-17 hardly qualifies as a smackdown :mrgreen: